Ostracods/seed Shrimp?

So noticed in my split 3G wave front, housing my 2 betta boys, that my crown was twitchy and looking at the other had these little yellow round ball like moving critters on him. Panicking I added some para guard and removed the carbon thinking they might be lice. Checking the tank again noticed tons of these critters moving along the back and watched Quirky twitch and some of the critters fell off. Took pics of them in tank, and tried to take some of Quirky on a paper towel but none could be seen. Sent some pics to a friend and he said they were these seed shrimp, and not to worry just cut back my feeding. My question is how did I get them? Newest addition to the tank is the crown and that was several months ago. Tank has never had live plants and clown puke for substrate. Anyone else ever gotten these?

post-5607-0-80764800-1366489984_thumb.jpg

post-5607-0-58599000-1366489995_thumb.jpg

If it's just the 2 adult fish, I'd only feed as much as I can see them eat in a minute or so every other day - even 2 days between feedings wouldn't be bad if you're feeding high quality food like NLS

Just the 2 boys, but switched from NLS to HBH Veggie Flakes and thinking of feeding spirulina flakes every 2-3 days . Hoping it will also help with his bulge, as its either constipation or a tumor. Just glad they weren't lice! Currently cleaning up their tank to remove the para guard, and the boys despise those little cups I have temporarily put them in.

I have seen these before on my driftwood & black pre-filters on my intakes but not as many as your pics show. I was wondering wouldn't they make a tasty snack for some of your Tetras or smaller fish?

When in the tank, if they crawled on the fish, the bettas would twitch abit to shake them off but other than that, nothing still ate well and were active. I removed the fish and nuked the tank with para guard and scrubbed it down with vinegar water. The tank is only a small 3G acrylic wavefront, not big enough for any of my small fish as I split it for the bettas.

• 7 years later...