Plants With No Co2?

khobbs

As the title states, could I grow some plants in a 60g with out any co2 running on it? Also the substrate is sand I don't want a ton of plans just something that could kind of grow like a carpet over some sand and rock work. I've never done plants before and would like to try some. Any help is welcome

I will be running ecoxotic Panorama Pro 12k white and blue Leds. Eheim ecco canister w/ inline heater and a small power head for circulation. Stock would be tetras and cories etc.

Let me know!! :)

Thank you

Of course you can grow plants. Typically co2 will just allow greater and faster growth. Sounds like this is a new tank. If so there would be no mulm build up for plant fertilizer so I'd suggest that something be added to give the plants food. Root sticks, liquid fertilizer...the choice is yours. I would suggest to mix in some sort of gravel on the top layer so that the sand is not blown around. Also sand will not hold smaller roots typical with carpet plants as well as if it were mixed with gravel.

If your just starting out with a new tank I'd say throw in some soil substrate as a base and then a sand/gravel mix on top. An inch of soil and 2-3 inches of sand/gravel on top and you've given your plants something quite good to use!

Edited by ckmullin

Plants can do quite well without co2. I feel the substrate has more to do with success than anything. Simple sand is not quite enough to provide nutrients. I personally do a combination of organic ingredients covered in sand. Java moss can do quite well attached to rocks or perhaps java fern. Using these types of plants you may not have to change the substrate.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're using a 12k led??? That is more suited for saltwater if I'm correct(which is rare.....). You might want to look for something in a 6700k spectrum. Definitely there's lots of plants that you can grow without CO2 ie. vals, sagitarria, crypts, hygrophilia, anubias, java fern, amazon swords. etc.. Definitely add some root tabs from time to time, and you're good to go!! Keep us updated and good luck!!

Plan for a 1.5-2" deep sand bed, and go with Pygmy Chain sword. There are other similar plants that are carpet plants, but tend to get quite tall in less than perfect conditions. The PCS is not demanding at all. If you can find some from another member/hobbyist, then they should have well established roots, which will hold the plant in the sand well. If you get it from the store, the roots are often shallow and can take a while before they'll hold the plants in the sand indefinitely.

Your light color will keep the plants growing low (which is great for a carpet), but they may not spread as fast as with a whiter light (or really, with a balance of blue/red). If you want to add a fertilizer to the substrate, just don't disturb it; otherwise, a liquid or powder fertilizer will be good enough. Also adding a bit of Seachem Excel or Metricide 14 will help with growth and keep algae at bay.

You don't NEED to add anything under your substrate. Growing in just sand will work. You simply have to understand what your plants need and what are the differences. If you go with sand only, you need to use root tabs to feed the plants. If you go with potting mix under a sand cap you won't have to worry quite so much about fertilizing, but the usefulness of the potting mix will eventually run out and will need to be replaced. That's over a year away though.

I use a montmorillonite clay base in my planted tanks then cap with sand. I still use root tabs and water column fertilization (High tech, lots of plants). The clay does much the same thing as a soil mix but it's cleaner and won't have to be replaced. It was also dirt cheap!!

Makes sense. I was afraid I was going to need a pricey co2 system to do this. Down the road maybe but right now I'm just getting started with plants. Ive done FW and SW for a few years so its not like I'm new, just to plants. So any tips or tricks, suggestions etc let me have it lol.

It's called Opti-sorb. Came in a big bag from Acklands-Grainger. It's not quite the same stuff as the Americans are using - safe - t - sorb but the MSDS says its the same thing. This stuff is fairly light colored which is why I capped it, it doesn't have that nice color like south of the border :(

Creekbottom, what brand and where are you getting your clay?

some cat litters are montmorillonite clay...just don't get the scented kind. this method has been used i guess now it can be called decades! lol

The best site to show great data on CEC and makeup for various substrates.

http://web.archive.org/web/20070210235445/http://home.infinet.net/teban/jamie.htm

Edited by ckmullin