Fba - Failed Breeders Anonymous

jeremoose

Hey all, strange thread title right? I can't help but wonder who else is out there that tried really hard (or not that hard) at breeding certain types of fish and failed miserably. I'm definitely an FBA member, I've tried my hand at multiple species and only been successful at a select few (and not a very impressive list either).

So this thread can be one of two things (or both): a place to share your FAILED breeding experiences with different types of fish and get some help to get back on track... OR, we can just all laugh together at our ineptitude.

My failed list:

1. Ember Tetras - the idea of breeding a tetra appealed to me since at the time I was all jazzed up about having a HUGE school of something in my 150g (before it became a tank for large cichlids). I read that Ember Tetras were simple to breed (by Tetra standards) and tried my hand.

I purchased multiple Embers from different sources and carefully selected my males and females based on desirable physical attributes and size, set up the proper tank conditions, separated males and females, fed them an unbelievably varied (and expensive diet), aaaaaaaaaaaand...: nothing.

2. Jack Dempsey - always loved the fish, just wanted to breed for the fun of it, since they're not rare cichlids. This has been a failure because I haven't been able to locate a decent sized female, I'm sure as soon as I get one that my male will be more than happy to provide me with some little ones.

3. BN Plecos - was lucky enough to receive a couple nicely fattened female BN's and a gorgeous featherfin male BN from a member on this site. Within 2 weeks of getting them I had baby plecos, the tank was just the Plecos and Rili Shrimp. One day, the young ones disappeared and they haven't bred since... Upsetting.

4. Angelfish - this one is especially embarassing because for most these things breed like guppys once they get a pair established. I've had and sold multiple Angelfish without ever having a pair form, I'm beginning to think there's some sort of conspiracy...

Feel free to share your experiences and be the SECOND member of FBA! (I understand the irony of something called "Fail Breeders Anonymous" in a public online forum)

P.S. If you are someone who breeds rays, exotic plecos, or Discus... WE DON'T WANT YOUR KIND IN HERE!

P.S.S. Clearly kidding, everyone is welcome.

P.S.S.S. Sorry about the ridiculous wall of text.

Edited by jeremoose

Common Corys were my down fall, tried for over a year to breed albinos, paleatus and bronzes. Nada happened till I managed to get my blacks and sterbai to spawn. Got a ton of sterbai and found 3 green aenus juvies lol after I rehomed the commons. Never did find a paleatus fry/juvies. Same issue with pseudomugil Aru 2, snagged some gorgeous stock from John, gave them their own tank and nothing still so just enjoying them for as long as they last.

Common Corys were my down fall, tried for over a year to breed albinos, paleatus and bronzes. Nada happened till I managed to get my blacks and sterbai to spawn. Got a ton of sterbai and found 3 green aenus juvies lol after I rehomed the commons. Never did find a paleatus fry/juvies. Same issue with pseudomugil Aru 2, snagged some gorgeous stock from John, gave them their own tank and nothing still so just enjoying them for as long as they last.

Another fish I failed utterly with.

I'm currently failing with my Geophagus Altifrons Tocantins. They have never really settled into the 90G tank I've got them in and am planning to switch up a lot of the inner tank setup to see if they feel comfortable that way.

Ill join the club, I fail quite a bit. It usually takes me a few tries (sometimes years) before I can breed a fish with great success.

I'm currently failing with my Geophagus Altifrons Tocantins. They have never really settled into the 90G tank I've got them in and am planning to switch up a lot of the inner tank setup to see if they feel comfortable that way.

Mine didn't do anything until I put them into a 180g 6 ft tank, although a friend had his do it in a 6ft 120g.

Glossolepis rainbows were my downfall with that group - TONNES of eggs, but never a fry older than a week. I think I just couldn't feed them soon enough after hatching.

• 4 months later...

I was so stoked about my GBRs. Paired off bred, layed eggs... Guarded and protected for 2 days...then had a feast. No courting behavior since :(

Ah yes GBRs had same thing happen, paired off laid eggs 24hrs. later in was scrambled eggs for all,2nd go round they waited 48hrs.3rd time eggs made it to wigglers then became lunch.So I decided to try and pull eggs and raise myself but now they insist on laying all of their spawn on a large piece of drift wood that can't be removed.But I haven't given up yet one of these days they will use one of the multiple flat rocks or sword leafs in the tank.

The Aru 2s are another work in progress I also received some nice stock,but my biggest challenge was spotting the fry before the adults,fry are tiny they look like specs of dust with tails.I did manage to scoop up six and get them into a small tuperware container that I floated in a different tank.I was feeding them some Sera Micron ( thanks Rainbow Ric )for about a week then started adding mico worms which they loved,but after another week they stopped eating & passed.New fry have been non existent or harder than normal to spot.