Fba - Failed Breeders Anonymous

jeremoose

Ugh, the list isn't long but there is a list.

1) Galaxy rasbora - I haven't given up but I haven't tried really hard either

2) Bettas - We followed all the rules and the female tore all hell out of two different males so we decided to just give up before someone died

3) Bolivian Rams - Our big male paired off with a pretty little girl and laid several clutches of eggs.... in a tank with 3-4" rainbows. The first clutch didn't last more than a day, 2nd through 5th lasted a little longer then they got it figured and we had HATCHLINGS!!!! A ton of them, we were feeding repashy diet through a turkey baster and they seemed to be growing then they little wigglers got big enough to catch the eye of the rainbows and that was that.
We tried putting the male and his girl in a nice separate tank and got no eggs, I later found out I'd grabbed the wrong female. Put em back in the main tank and since then, nothing, no courting no eggs, nothing.

4) Rainbows - I haven't put a ton of effort into them but I'll try again soon. I get some courting and dancing and the girls seem interested but nothing serious.

I have had many failures. Many...and many successes.

I have found so many breeding failures have been because of young parents. Like many humans, just because we can go through the motions of breeding, doesn't mean we are good at it. Most things that are worth doing take practice.

I enjoy the challenge of figuring out how to make fish breed. It's simple really.

A happy well fed fish wants to breed, but what circumstances or triggers cause it? You pick up tricks along the way, and the Internet has definitely sped up the learning process. Allowing us to research habitats looking for hints.

Take it slow. Change one thing at a time as there are a ton of variables. Multiple water parameters, lighting intensity, lighting duration, temperature, water hardness, PH, atmospheric pressure,hydrostatic pressure, food, tank mates, spawning areas, water current etc.

I have had many challenges. The key is to be persistent.

I had trouble with rams and apistogrammas for the longest time till I figured out they need a night light.

I have felt defeated and certain fish have been the bane of my hobby but I'm a stubborn one. L-134 pleco drove me nuts. I sold them all ticked off, then 6 months later bought a dozen again. Finally after they were 2 years old or so I finally figured out a trick that worked. Bred 100's since.

Cardinal tetras are my latest frustration. They breed no problem, but you think I can keep the little buggers alive?! Also the new Wapoga Red Laser rainbowfish. These are proving to be difficult to keep alive when very small.

Really, if the hobby was simply keeping fish alive I would have left long ago.

I enjoy a challenge, its the lateral thinker in me that enjoys it...even when I am in the middle of it and it feels like I am hitting my head on a rock. But my list of future failures will be vast and I will get through it. One step at a time.

The only fish that has whooped me was a group of Barilius Canarensis. I think they were too young. But who knows, maybe all 6 were the same sex? I will find them again and give them another try. Someday....

Cardinal tetras are my latest frustration. They breed no problem, but you think I can keep the little buggers alive?! Also the new Wapoga Red Laser rainbowfish. These are proving to be difficult to keep alive when very small.

The only time I've ever seen Cardinal tetra populations increase was in very heavily planted tanks. I believe the eggs and fry are very sensitive to light... maybe give a covered tank a shot??

I have raised fry in tanks loaded with leaf litter and floating plants that block out almost all light. There may be some validity to the eggs being light sensitive but the microbe colonies on the decaying leaf litter are key to fry survival. They graze on it and it gets them over the hump.

• 1 month later...

Common Corys were my down fall, tried for over a year to breed albinos, paleatus and bronzes. Nada happened till I managed to get my blacks and sterbai to spawn. Got a ton of sterbai and found 3 green aenus juvies lol after I rehomed the commons. Never did find a paleatus fry/juvies. Same issue with pseudomugil Aru 2, snagged some gorgeous stock from John, gave them their own tank and nothing still so just enjoying them for as long as they last.

The Aru 2s are another work in progress I also received some nice stock,but my biggest challenge was spotting the fry before the adults,fry are tiny they look like specs of dust with tails.I did manage to scoop up six and get them into a small tuperware container that I floated in a different tank.I was feeding them some Sera Micron ( thanks Rainbow Ric )for about a week then started adding mico worms which they loved,but after another week they stopped eating & passed.New fry have been non existent or harder than normal to spot.

Ha ha success (so far) managed to catch five fry and keep them alive for three weeks now they are eating crushed up NLS, BBS & micro worms growing quickly in their 10g grow out tank.

• 2 months later...

I spent what was at the time a months rent on a group of Gold Sexfaciatus and another months rent upgrading their home. A year later still not even a hint of spawning. Headed for camp came back from first rotation to find an empty house and a 150gallons of dead fish...

Better off without her but do regret the loss of my prized fish.

• 2 months later...

At the current time, I have 2 mated pair of angelfish who are just "friends" without benefits, betta splendens who don't know how to build bubblenests, wild mouthbrooding bettas who think they should bubblenest and have some tank crashes and lost my breeding bns pairs.. but I came home to my apistogramma panduro pair with eggs and today my bolivian rams have found a rock they really like...

I was hoping to breed my apistos once I finished growing out my cories and plecos (need the tank), and sadly ended up losing my male (choked on a pleco fry) in the community tank. Not sure which type i'm going to secure and try with. I really like the panduro.

• 5 weeks later...

Great thread idea! It is good to get this stuff off my chest!

Well, where do I start? Angels! Finally after 4-5 years, I have babies. But my Paratilapia polini still are not putting out. Corys! Well, I don't think I gave it a good enough try but still, any attempt on my part to spawn them has failed. Oh, and bettas. Thought it would be so easy. Bubble nests and even eggs sometimes, but never anything hatching. So sad.

What about breeding fish that I used to breed all the time and now for some reason can't? That has happened too. I have a breeding group of Victorians who used to be so prolific and now I haven't had a single fry out of any of them in two years. Even after adding a few new, younger males and females to the group. Nothing. Go figure.

Raised Oscars once too. Still have the breeding pair and they have only spawned three times in the past two years, They raised their fry to wigglers and then ate them. Next spawn I took the rock and incubated the eggs myself and they all molded as if they weren't fertilized. And now, they won't spawn. They dig and dig and change locations and clean a new spawning site, but never lay. Frustrating.

Oh, I have tried my luck at tetras too. No success. The King Tetra I read was suppose to be a no brainer. I couldn't get any spawning action.

Oh, and I must be the only breeder on the planet that can't keep a population of Grindle worms alive! I try really hard, really I do. And they always die off on me.

Also couldn't keep my daphnia starter colony going. Killed them too.

Now I am not sure I feel better or not. Thinking about all my failures as put in me in a bad mood. And now I have to go to bed. Great. To bed in a bad mood.

Well, there is always tomorrow to try the breeding thing some more.