Layer Of Goo On Driftwood?

Realevil1

turned my tank lights on yesterday morning and notice a layer of jelly like fuzzy stuff on the driftwood floating in my tank. Any ideas what this could be and if i should be concerned.

Its almost clear transparent, and a 1/2" thick layer, but is only on the drift wood?

turned my tank lights on yesterday morning and notice a layer of jelly like fuzzy stuff on the driftwood floating in my tank. Any ideas what this could be and if i should be concerned.

Its almost clear transparent, and a 1/2" thick layer, but is only on the drift wood?

I had some similar stuff growing on a piece of wood that I had in my new tank as well, so I removed it just to be safe. My other pieces of mopani driftwood seem to be doing fine though, and are not growing any fungus on them.

I bought a piece of driftwood off a member, and it had what seemed like a short, slimy fur coat on it. The plecos ate it all eventually. Never did find out what it was though.

Edited by JayWho

New tank or new driftwood? I think it is a bacterial bloom and it'll usually sort itself out.

Every piece of driftwood I have tossed in a tank has grown some kind of funky mold/slim on it, usually sorts its self out quickly BN plecos & snails love it too.

• 1 month later...

I've discovered the same thing on my new driftwood. It comes off easily but grows right back so I only bothered trying to get rid of it once. I haven't noticed any harm though, my shrimp almost seem to play in it. I figured, from what I've read (as most things when left without human involvement) it'll sort itself out.