Snails Are Driving Me Crazy!

KimW

Anyone know what the best thing is to get rid of these little pains in my butt? They are in everything :'(

If you kill them all, watch out for a spike in ammonia from all of the corpses. Also, if you're trying to manipulate your pH, all of those empty shells will buffer it up.

An overpopulation of snails is pretty indicative of overfeeding. The easiest population control for snails is to reduce the amount of food.

Clea helena "assassin snail" - great little snail that given time will eventually control or eliminate pest snail populations without need for chemicals or ammonia spikes.

I have them in every tank, and never worry about pest snails.

Also in my opinion a great indicator species, if nitrate, nitrites creep up they will all climb the glass telling you something is wrong before your fish do

AA

Thank you! I definitely don't over feed they all came in on plants that I bought. I feed very sparingly every other day as I only have a few small fishes in there.

Where would be a good place to get assassin's? And what would be the best amount to get for a 120 gallon tank?

I watch my levels and do liquid tests usually once or twice a week right now as our water here in town changes this time of year. Nitrates etc all within normal ranges and so far haven't fluctuated yet...although I do expect a spike soon.

Not fond of using assassin snails as people then have an assassin snail problem.

Interesting, I've never heard of anyone have an assassin snail problem.

If they do not have enough food they can become cannibalistic, seen that myself a few times. I feed mine prawns to prevent that.

Once a year or so I will catch a bunch and trade them at my LFS for what ever I need. There's always people looking to buy them out here.

Ok so I guess my next question is, which would be the better option?

I would prefer to go all natural for getting rid of them as everything in the tank is 100% live/real, and it is a dirt tank.

Is there a good community fish that won't hurt the Harlequin Rasbora's and Various Tetra's, and 2 cories I have in there, but that would feed on the snails?

I don't need to really get rid of them altogether just sick of having to get them out of my filter, and would like to control them better....lil buggers are sneaky!

I'll see if i can get a decent pic of them here in the next day or so for type of snails, as I honestly have no idea what they are and just assumed they are pests :)

This right now is the only pic i have of my tank.....you can see one of them in the right front corner half way up....the others are more cone like in shape and you can see a few along the water line at the top. ( water parameters are beginning to fluctuate here in town now that spring is here, had to do a water change earlier tonight to maintain normal parameters )

20160404_104717_1.jpg