Heater Failure

RD.

Have you ever had a heater fail in the ON position?  

76 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My answer is the 'lucky' one... so far... no.

But my oldest heaters that are in use are 10 months old, now. I have some used HOB heaters in storage 'just in case' but all my heaters are now Marineland or Hydor submersible, and the oldest isn't a year, yet. I'm sure eventually it'll happen... with the quantity of heaters I have and given enough time, odds are it must happen at least once... and when it does I'll curse a blue streak like everyone else does ;)

Yes, can't remember what type. Fried my colony of yellow labs I got from Don Gross, and my C. azureus colony I had previous to the one I sold Tom. Had a power outage (blink, more like it), and the AC 300 stuck also. Didn't take long.

Happy New Year's Day to me, not.

I had a Tronic 50w take out a cluster of cuttlefish eggs that were a few days from hatching. I still get kinda weepy when I think about it.

I've seen half a dozen thermal compact presets stick on at the store, they were bad for that.

I had something, maybe a visi-therm or a thermal compact with the temp control nearly kill my best oranda many years ago.

And lastly I had a thermal compact explode into little pieces in my Mom's tank. It wasn't during a water change and there wasn't anything big enough to damage it in there.

I've only seen a few of the new Jagers fail and never seen one stick on. I have heard a story from one person I do trust that she had one stick on though. The thing with the Jagers is a bit of a toss up, same factory or not it is a new design and that always means there are some kinks to work out.

Against my better judgement I've risked jinxing myself and voted "no". I've had a used ebo jager 150w for ~2yrs now and it's been fine. I've also had a few marineland visi-therms over the same period in different tanks and they've been fine. I'm currently using a very old hagen heater and hoping I stay lucky till after Christmas.

Glad to see most who voted haven't! I had to vote yes, but it happened maybe 12 years ago! Otherwise, I've been doing great.

I think that most companies make quality products, but you can't be 100%, 100% of the time! :(

I voted yes... but i was able to catch it in time before any damage was done.

It was the middle of the night when i looked over at my 30 gallon tank that was in my room at the time, when i noticed the glowing heater. I got up right away and looked at the temp of the tank and it was rising as i was watching it. I caught it at about 85f/90f. It was an old heater and since i have never had any problems with my ebo or the hagen's that i am using.

mine is minor compared to most heater stories...

nev

Yes, two or three times over the past three plus decades.....none in the past ten years, though....partly due to better quality heaters and heater technonolgy overall, and partly due to the fact that I have made a concious effort over the past decade to purchase better-quality heaters.

I did, however, have a room-heater get stuck on in my reptile room a few years back....while I was away in BC...I believe that the heater was probably stuck for 3-5 days, and was keeping the room at a constant 110ºF...the results were disastrous, and I came come to dozens of dead snakes and lizards (a good $8000-$10,000 worth).

• 10 months later...

Once, but the heater was cheap and I needed one after the fish store was closed. I caught it before it fried anything and removed the heater, fish are much better at room temperature than boiling. I believe it was a radiant hang-on and some water got in under the cap and caused chaos.