Your Tanks

Milan

I feel bad posting mine in the middle of everyone's awesome looking tanks. I'm new to the hobby and even newer to plants. I started this the wrong way with a fancy shell and treasure chest that open up from an air pump. Shell is gone now and the chest is about to go soon.

The tank has:

Fish:

3 black tetras.

2 diamond tetras.

2 mollies

2 panda cories

1 suckermouth catfish

1 opaline gourami

Plants:

1 Java Fern

2 Anubius

Java moss tied this weekend on the tree-like driftwood

There's more embarrassing fake stuff that will be replaced over time. As I said, I started this all wrong.

540322_311335832317898_1844901031_n.jpg

You can see two thingies at the water surface. They're LED spotlights shining down in the evening after 8hrs of bright light just to give a nice glow.

Edited by Vanterax

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good remember everybody starts out some where one thing I noticed is your Java Fern's rhizome( the thick lumpy bit ) the leaves are growing out of shouldn't be planted in the gravel the brown roots growing from it yes rhizome should sit on top of the gravel.

Edited by flyfisher

I noticed is your Java Fern's rhizome( the thick lumpy bit ) the leaves are growing out of shouldn't be planted in the gravel

That's why I love this forum. :) I should've googled about the java fern first so Mea Culpa. It came in two rhizomes. So this morning, I attached one to the rock using white sowing thread and I gently wedged the other between two driftwoods. When I purchased it at Big Al's, they ripped a leaf off which hasn't died yet so I'll let it float to see if it will develop into anything.

My two anubias are producing new leaves so at least I'm doing that right...

Thanks for the tip. I promise to google better next time. ;)

Edited by Vanterax

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my 15 gallon column tank.

I'm still not quite happy with the layout of the plants and am trying to think of better positioning.

Fish:

Veiltail Betta (hiding from the camera)
Neon Tetras
Cherry Shrimp
Zebra Nerite Snail (Blending into the background)

Plants:
Water Lettuce
Water Wisteria
Red Flame (I think)
Dwarf Hairgrass
Christmas Moss

post-6175-0-05175800-1363181998_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

My tank is finally starting to fill in!

Sorry ya'll I don't know the names of my plants off the top of my head, I have them in my book at home maybe I'll edit them in here afterwards.

LIGHTING: 65 watt compact fluorescent 10,000k

2013-04-15143450_zps81bcf62e.jpg

P.s. please excuse all the scrap clippings floating around, my platy is ready to pop some more fry so I keep them in there temporarily for hiding spot for fry until I can hopefully get them out before the angelfish has his way with them

My tank is finally starting to fill in!

Sorry ya'll I don't know the names of my plants off the top of my head, I have them in my book at home maybe I'll edit them in here afterwards.

LIGHTING: 65 watt compact fluorescent 10,000k

P.s. please excuse all the scrap clippings floating around, my platy is ready to pop some more fry so I keep them in there temporarily for hiding spot for fry until I can hopefully get them out before the angelfish has his way with them

looking good

• 1 month later...

Wow, there are some stunning tanks posted here!

I've changed my tank setup and I'm hoping my plants will survive this time... so far the only plants I can keep alive are anubis and Cryptocoryne wendtii... I've changed my lighting system so I have 2 x T8s above the tank and one to the side. I ditched the Eclipse hood with the burnt out light fixture so that I could put the new lights above the tank. I had the CO2 going before - I'm using the fluval nano setup, but I've added substrate under the gravel. I still have to get a decent filter. Right now I've just got the elite mini to add some air/ current. It turns out that black and white poly makes an OK DIY "hood" to reflect the light back into my tank and hide the ugly hardware store light fixture. :lol:

There's a cherry shrimp in the tank. I hope he's OK since there's nowhere to put the copper removal material at the moment. Once I get a real filter going and stabilized I'm hoping to add in my betta and maybe another shrimp or two.

970551_10151416139796512_268440188_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I started this tank on Aug. 17, 2013. the tank is a 120gal.

For lights I have a 48" dual GLO and a 48" Aqueon 3 lamp LED and a 32" moon glow LED It also gets a few hours a day of direct sun..

For my substrate I used ADA Power sand as a base layer (1cm) and the Five elements mixture then i used ADA Aqua soil and powder for the top layer (3"-6").Oh and a few flourish tabs.

I use a 20lb. bottle of CO2 to a bubble counter to a DO!AQUA Music glass diffuser.

As for filtration I have an Eheim Professional wet/dry with mostly natural bio media. Water Ph. 7.5.

Ok So it kinda gets embarrassing here. I don't know any of the names of the plants I have in here. If you do please let me know. I'm just waiting to find some nice carpet plants to fill in the foreground/midground.

No fish yet other than a whiptail.

The "brain rocks" are from the James river just up by Bearberry

20130821_173652_zps40e2948d.jpg20130821_161107_zps59d420eb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...