Aquaclear Power Head 70

Mighty Prawn

Pumps 400 gph. What are some interesting or unconventional uses for a powerhead?

I am going to use it in my 55 gallon future cichlid tank. Aside from water flow, what else can it be used for? This will be in conjunction with an Aquaclear 500.

If all it's good for is an undergravel filter, small sump or water movement, that's fine. I'd just use it to either create current, or position it to move waste from the bottom to move towards my filter intake on the AC500. Just hoping there are some other interesting uses for it I may like better.

What

In a heavily planted tank, that would be a great CO2 diffusor - feed the CO2 into it's intake.

While you use it to move water in your cichlid tank, put a sponge filter on it. That way, when you set up another tank, QT, whatever, you have an established filter ready to go.

Another question, can you use a powerhead like this one to run a small sump? There appear to be all kinds of different flow options, but no explanation what they're for.

-Hideo

• 4 weeks later...

I attach pop bottles full of filter media to my powerheads and run them in established tanks for waterflow, increased filteration, and use in quarantine tanks in the future. I filtered my 80 gallon with one of those for a year! :D

Another question, can you use a powerhead like this one to run a small sump?

No powerheads aren't made for that purpose. Not only would it not pump nearly enough water to do anything...it would put undue stress on the pump and it would no doubt burn out fast.

Besides simple water flow, you can use these powerheads to add aeration, or add a quick filter attachment for reliable mechanical filtration.

To my knowledge, hobbyists that associate powerheads with small sumps are generally using them inside the sump to oxygenate the water that is pumped back to the main tank.

Doc B)