My new 210

Drydock

I bought this tank in Calgary earlier this summer. It has sat on my deck all summer while I built the stand and figured out where to put it.

The dimensions are 72" by 24" high and 30" wide. There is a center overflow into a 57 gallon sump. The lights are 6 96w PC - a mix of atinics and daylights that came with the tank. (Originally a SW reef tank)

I had to build the stand myself, and a big thanks to Jvision for helping me move it. The stand is 37" high - room for the sump underneath plus lots of storage.

Back view:

DSC02755.jpg

Front view:

DSC02756.jpg

The stand is 3/4" plywood that has been doubled up on the ends and along the back. Screwed and glued together to laminate it all. Across the front is 2 2x4s that have been screwed and glued together and then an additional brace will be added between the doors on the right side. I also added some 2x4 and 2x6 supports where I could along the sides

I also wanted a nice set of drawers for 'stuff' 2 shallow and one deep one. They are going to be covered up with a cabinet door, just like the other openings.

Here it is in the basement with the tank on top: (when I post it online, it all looks so easy...)

DSC02776.jpg

I painted the insides with white Varathane colors in plastic. It gives a really hard finish and I am hoping that it will be temporarily water tight in case of a leak. I also siliconed all the bottom joints up to the bottom of the doors. Hopefully I won't have to try it out.

The lights are going to be mounted from the bottom of the bulkhead and then built in to match.

Right now I am painting the back and 1 side (that's why the tank isn't straight on the stand right now) but I hope to be adding water this weekend.

For foam, I found some of those interlocking foam squares at Canadian Tire. One side gray, the others... rainbow. Rainbow lost the toss. The foam and bottom trim of the tank should be covered up by the trim board that will be added once I get everything finally into place.

Anyhow, I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Edited by Drydock

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that looks very nice indeed!!!

Congrats on finally getting r done!

Now I know who all I can call, for idea's and help with setting up a tank...hehe...

Send pix of it when it is in action, can not wait... again congrats!

Lana

For electrical, I added a couple sets of plug ins, but I put an inline GFCI module at the beginning. Basically, it provides GFI protection to all plug-ins downstream form it. The bad side is that if one appliance trips it, they all go. But, better safe than sorry.

DSC02788.jpg

The GFCI unit was $30 at Home Depot, but is was way cheaper to do that rather than buy all GFCI plugs for the amount I wanted.

I also have an old mechanical timer that my dad was about to toss. I used it on my tank years ago and I'll be using it again for my lights. (If anyone knows here I can buy extra on - off clips for it, I'd really appreciate that.)

DSC02791.jpg

DSC02789.jpg

Edited by Drydock

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome job. Such a beautiful set up. May I ask where you purchased the tank from and for how much? In the near future I am hoping to buy something around the same size. I have seen those old timers used where I work, but I am not sure where you can buy new clips from. Can you possibly use plastic clips? Newer timers are mainly made with plastic, def not durable, but probably more water resistant.

That is a good idea for the plug-ins, but are you not worried about the constant moisture the sump will produce under there with the outlets?

That is a good idea for the plug-ins, but are you not worried about the constant moisture the sump will produce under there with the outlets?

I used a 'waterproof' box for the plug ins. It is designed for exterior use. I also mounted it on the back of the drawers, and not on the back of the compartment where the sump is. There is a divider, so it should not be getting direct exposure to any spray.

I will be making a cover for the sump as well and the only spot in the system where water cascades is in the overflow. The water flowing into the sump exits into a filter sock and the bottom of the pipe is below the water surface. The idea is that it is quieter, and the less surface agitation I have, the less evaporation. (and less moisture getting to the electrical)

I have water in and some fish from my 72:

- Turquoise Rainbows

- Congo tetras

- Rasboras

- Lemon Tetras

- Kribs

- Butterfly Plecos

I have also ordered a bunch of fish from Spencer Jack going in:

- Red hook silver dollars

- Red laser corys

- Dwarf flag chiclids

I'm still looking for a really good 'centerpiece' fish to put in. Something that is relatively peaceful...

I'll post some photos in a bit.

Here is the latest update

DSC02799.jpg

I have to put on the trim along the bottom and build the 'skin' for the top. My son likes to drop stuff in the sump so the doors are going to be priority #1

For lights, I have 96 W Power Compacts. There are 4 atnic and 4 12000 K. It was a Salt water setup when I bought it, so there is way more light than I need. I need to change out the bulbs anyhow, I'm just waiting to pay off the CC. :boxed:

The atnics come on first and go off last to simulate more of a sunrise -sunset effect. Not sure if it is really affective. I really like the look of the fish with them. The colors on the congo tetras and rainbows really come out it seems.

I am setting up a CO2 system for the plants, they are looking a bit weak right now. I'm expecting them to look worse before they improve. Lots of dark looking leaves and algae taking over on them.

I am looking for a big piece of driftwood to help out with the aquascaping and build in that illusion of depth. I wanted kind of a transition scene darker and lots of driftwood standing on the left, boulders of different size in the center and more of an open area on the left with lots of plants around the edges. I'll probably change my mind...

In the sump I am using a 200 micron filter sock (you see them more in SW tanks) for my mechanical filtration. I was really shocked this morning when I was turning it inside out to clean it when one of my corydoras bounced out. He's home again with no apparent ill affects. If he had made it into the sump, it would have been a nightmare to try and get him out with all the bulkheads and media.

I also have a 50 micron bag that I was using. I find that they clog up pretty quick and I can really tell that the water levels in the sump are down. Once I change it out, the level seems to come back right away, so it is going to be something I have to keep an eye on and maybe grab a couple more so that I can wash 2 or 3 at a time in the washing machine (no soap and obviously without any other laundry)

I also wash them before my wife knows what's going on so she doesn't have time to complain. :)

For bio media, I cleaned out Superstore of the plastic pot scrubbers. I also have a bunch of bio balls that I got for free. I didn't realize that everything floats and I was concerned about the water flow in the center section of the sump, so I built a diagonal partition that is removable out of egg crate and plexi that I shove all the bio media under. This keeps it submergerd and forces the water to move up and down as it moves through the section. On top, I have my heater placed here and I am going to be growing java moss in here.

Anyhow, it is a work in progress still, but I am pretty happy with it to now. Kelly out at the Reef Shoppe in Lloyd has also been a help. I got the Lockline and filter socks from him and I'll probably be phoning him for more stuff. :)

Edited by Drydock

Try to keep the splash as low as possible when the water goes into the overflow, then into the sump - you'll lose A LOT of CO2 in that case. Looking great, Roger! :thumbs: