Neil will love this thread

rudy

I just ordered a ton of this to feed to my rays.

I opened a bag of it threw some in and long story short almost lost a ray. Must have been rotten as the ammonia wet nuts and I came up stairs to find my large henlei up at the top of the tank gasping for air. I grabbed him and he took off and started spiraling

Changed the water (right before people came over for new years) and saved him thank god.

Kens fish food will now hit the garbage

Did the ray eat the food?

Well that is the thing. They both did and we are not out of the woods yet. They are both gasping and breathing hard. Ammonia is zero but I am continueing small water changes as it seems to be helping.

Sorry to hear about this Tim, and I hope that your rays pull through with no long term effects.

I have to admit that I'm a bit confused as to how any of Ken's products (pellets?) would cause an ammonia spike? Does the food look or smell rotten to you? Which formula of pellets were you feeding?

While I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of some of Ken's foods (due to the raw ingredients used), I find it very difficult to believe that he was/is selling food that is rancid.

Im sorry about your ray.

I think maybe you should contact this ken person and complain. If there is something wrong and you can prove it maybe he will compensate you somewhat.

Just hopefully it doesnt result in the loss of your ray.

I hope him all the best. Good luck..

While I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of some of Ken's foods (due to the raw ingredients used),

Could there have been some sort of parasite in this?

Could there have been some sort of parasite in this?

I seriously doubt it.

Mold/fungi, specifically some of the various aflatoxins might be present, but even IF that was the case, usually one wouldn't expect to see the fish become ill in such a short period of time, nor do I believe that one would typically see a sudden spike in ammonia. Molds in Fish Feeds and Aflatoxicosis Having said that, it's certainly possible that some species of rays may react more swiftly to certain aflatoxins than other species of fish.

When food is involved with a sudden rise in ammonia levels, that usually indicates that more food than what the bio filters could immediately process was added to the tank. I'm not saying that's what happened in this situation, simply that this is what's usually the cause.