3rd try for my Rainbows

Vallisneria

Well its taken 2 months but my Rainbow cichlids have finally bred again. I'm hoping 3rd times a charm as the other 2 times they ate the fry after a few days of being free swimming :(

I found eggs on Saturday and they hatched on Sunday. Both parents are guarding them in a little pit the dug.

So far, so good *fingers crossed*

Watch to see if it is just the male eating the fry. I had this problem with Fuellborniis years ago.

Watch to see if it is just the male eating the fry. I had this problem with Fuellborniis years ago.

I haven't seen them eating the fry. The night before there is fry and when I check the next day they are all gone. People have recommended I let them practice for the first 3 times. If they eat the fry again on the 3rd try I should remove the eggs/fry the next time if I want to raise them.

I know sometimes it takes a few tries before the parents get it right. I'm just hoping that this is the time. I would rather see the parents raising the fry then removing them to grow them alone.

OK day 4 and so far they aren't eaten. The other 2 times the parents ate them around the 7th day, though

I am setting up a 10g and i'm planning on removing some of the fry. My question is how to remove the fry from the parents tank? Right now they are just starting to swim around(this morning they were wigglers but tonight they are starting to move up into the water colum a bit).

Should I suck up the fry using a hose into a bucket and then dump the bucket into the fry tank? Or should I just use a fine net to scoop them out and put them into the fry tank? I've only dealt with moothbrooder fry before which are considerably larger and not as fragile. I dont' want to accidentally kill the fry by moving them.

I figured syphoning them would be easiest. I'll do it after supper :)

I might leave some in with the parents to see if they do indeed eat them again. But I also figured syphoning them might freak the parents out and as a result they eat the babies. I guess we'll see.

Thanks,

Well that was a lot easier then I though it would be. IT took about 2 seconds to suck out 80% of the fry. They were all huddled in the corner, so I just had to stick the tube in and out the came. There is now a zillion tiny fry swimming around the 10g. I left a couple(maybe 20-30ish) in with the parents just to see what will happen. I sucked out more then enough. Not sure what i'm going to do with hundreds of fry if they all survive! :shock:

Hopefully all goes well with the babies and their fry tank transition. *fingers crossed*

So now that they are free swimming and in their new home, what should I be feeding. I have FD cyclops, Frozen baby brine and crushed up NLS flakes. SHould I do a combo of all or is the crushed up(powder fine) NLS flake enough?

I'm sure they'll eat all with gusto, or any of those on their own should also be good. I've been having some good growth and color from all young fish fed exclusively on NLS, but I've also heard good things about cyclops.

But I also figured syphoning them might freak the parents out and as a result they eat the babies. I guess we'll see.

this happened to me with the first batch of fry i wanted to remove.

the pair in the tank ate more than i caught with the syphon.

congrats on the relocation.

Well it appears the parents ate the fry that I left in with them :cry: Just like the other 2 times, it happened on the 7day. It could have been that I scared them when I syphoned out the other fry, but since its happened the other 2 times on the 7th day its kind of weird.

Good thing I removed most of the fry yesterday. They seem to be doing ok. I think I spotted a couple dead ones this morning but not too many.

• 2 months later...

Update- Its been 60 days since my rainbow fry hatched :thumbs: I only had a couple deaths in the first few days but I think that was more because I wasn't feeding them enough. Since then they have been eating like mad. They are a bit bigger then 1cm(w/o tail) and growing fast.

This has been my first attempt at something other then african mouthbrooders and its been fun. Its also my first attemp at BAP. I should get my first points next week when I bring a couple bags of fish to the meeting :smokey:

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all these babies :lol: