Big Tank on Main Floor

jvision

OK, looks like I found what I've been looking for. The tank will probably weigh around 3500 lbs when full. Think it'll be OK on the main floor if I set it across the joists (perpendicular, over 5 joists) on an outside wall? How about parallel on 2 joists - would I have to set up a support pole for that?

Thanks! :thumbs:

Edited by jvision

Jason,

I don't think you would be able to set it up on 2 parallel joists without having some type of support below. What type and size are the joists? And what is the unsupported span of each? But the five joists perpendicular could work.

Are there any engineers out there that can confirm?

Leon

Standard flooring systems like the silent floor can support a maxium load is 250 lbs per square foot. 3200 lbs would require an engineered floor most likely supported with steel I beams. Large tanks should be installed on slab on grade which is normally your basement floor. I strongly suggest that you dont set it up on your upper floor, I would think that a 90-100 gallon tank would be the max. I'm not an engineer, I just hate to see your new tank take the fast trip to the basement. I don't mean to rain on your parade, best of luck.

I think the biggest factor would be the footprint of the stand, hopefully not legged type of stand.

Personally i would put some floor jacks underneath just for peace of mind.

Ive heard of people putting up to 180g tanks on their mainfloors without supports, but it isnt something i would try.

I have a 90g with a 4-1/2 ft x 2ft footprint stand on my mainfloor with no signs of floor stress.

Putting it accross the joists might work, provided it is along an outside wall that the floor overhangs the foundation.

Good article :) No definitive answers, but makes the laymen more concious of some of the things to consider.

Before I bought my 90g (48x18x24), I really wanted a 125g (48x24x24). the bigger footprint of the 125 makes aquascaping/terracing that much easier:)

BUT, I was living in a rented fourplex, and after talking to one of my co-workers (a civil engineer), he was sceptical that most residential floors would even take the 90g (pffffftttt, they are too conservative !!)

So, I decided to play it safe®, and bought the 90g. BUT I did design a stand that would spread the load over as great an area as possible.

I have posted this before, but it is relevant to the topic, so here we go again:)

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?act=m...=si&img=464

The perimeter frame design of my stand gives you much better load distribution. I think a 90g is OK, but once you go beyond that, more thought has to go into the process before move in day.

Anyway J, I think 3500lbs on the main floor will likely take some reinforcing, such as doubling up the joists, perhaps additional tele-posts??

You didn't say, how big (gallons, footprint,etc) is this tank, and is it SW or FW ??

James

Edited by James (Western Canada)

Giv'er Jason... just call your insurance agent and make sure the lifetime warranty conditions on the tank is met. If it means having to use a fugly stand, so be it, but cover-yer-arse, man...

Just get the whole thing and put it on YouTube, ok?

Build a 2x10 3 ply beam set it on 2 tele-posts 30 inches from an outside wall in your basement, Then build a storage closet to hide the beam and tele-posts. Just think of all the fishy stuff you could hide in that closet.

The tank I'm planning is a 230 (72"x24"x30") w. a 70 gal sump. The stand is cabinet style. I've seen a similar set up on the main floor of a house, but didn't ask if the floor had extra support.

So, do people with pianos have to worry about this stuff, too?

The tank I'm planning is a 230 (72"x24"x30") w. a 70 gal sump. The stand is cabinet style. I've seen a similar set up on the main floor of a house, but didn't ask if the floor had extra support.

So, do people with pianos have to worry about this stuff, too?

Is the basement below finished or unfinished?

Teleposts are unneccessary but framing in a support wall (with a 3-ply header)downstairs and adding additional sections of joist would be a good idea. This will transfer the weight load to the basement and negate the issue of collapse.

Maybe some photos of the area you want to place the tank and the area below it in the basement (make sure ceiling joists are visible) would help.

That is a crushing amount of weight. I would suggest that you would be very wise to engage a structural engineer to give you direction. There will obviously be a cost however, the price of peace of mind over the long haul will be minuscule. Also, if you had the "disaster', the cost of the engineer's opinion would look very tiny. I started thinking about a water bed and the weight thereof. On doing some calculations, a queen size would likely have something in the order of 180USg or about 1,500 pounds. No where near the tank you are contemplating. I expect that additional support from the concrete basement floor is imperative.

Vic