Styrofoam under tanks

RD.

So as not to derail Karen's thread any further .........

As previously stated, placing styro under a tank with a raised molded frame (which Perfecto & All-Glass tanks all have) is a waste of both time & money, and in many instances will also cause the warranty to be void. The key is to level the stand, not the tank.

Aquariums only need to be evenly supported (as in no twisting force) on all 4 corners.

The fact that many hobbyists use styro, and/or swear by it, doesn't prove anything. Many hobbyists also

swear by using eggcrate to support rocks etc, and feel that it is somehow distributing the weight of the rocks better than the glass could. It doesn't. While it may help buffer the bottom pane if a heavy or sharp rock falls, it does not help distribute the overall weight of the rocks.

Europeans use styro (where I believe this concept originally started) as the vast majority of their tanks do not have "raised" plastic molded frames, and in that case using something such as styro is a good idea. In many cases the manufacturers of those style of tanks will void the warranty if you don't use styro under the base of the aquarium.

Just to prove a point that aquariums only need to be supported evenly in each of their 4 corners ......

cinder1.jpg

cinder2.jpg

Andy Hudson from Central Aquatics (the owners of All-Glass aquariums) Research & Development dept demonstrates near the end of this thread just how much panel load a typical aquarium can handle. (typically double the weight of the total water volume that the tank was made for) Also note that the tank shown on the last page of that thread by Andy is not sitting on a styro base.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=140294

While the discussion above is about using eggcrate (light diffusing panels) to distribute the weight from rocks etc, it's an interesting read.

IMHO if an aquarium manufacturer states that one should not use styro between one of their tanks and stands, and doing so will void their warranty, then I suspect they have their reasons for this disclaimer. Personally I have never used styro as a buffer on a tank with a raised molded frame, and I have never had a tank leak, or break.

HTH

Great info RD. I just ordered 9 x 40 gallon breeder tanks with a footprint of 36"x18" from a local manufacturer and specifically asked whether I should place styro underneath or not. They told me that the styro was not needed, and recommended solid plywood, and of course to make sure that base is 100% level. They also pointed out that I should not use MDF boards.

Ideally the entire portion of the stand that the tank rests on should be perfectly flat & level. Even if it isn't, chances are you won't have a catastrophe unless you end up with some form of twisting stress. The point that I was attempting to make in my previous post was that a tank with a raised molded frame need only be supported on all 4 corners, and if that tank is resting level, there should be no issues. (unless something is faulty with the tank itself)

Anyone gonna try the brick thing on all four corners?? haha

I think I will pass on that one!!

I'm gonna pass on it also scares the crap out of me-----but it does prove a point.,..

In my prior house I had several tanks on concrete blocks exactly like Neil's pictures and never had a problem.The biggest was just a 90g., but for 5 years no trouble whatsoever.

I have a 255G., a 210G. and soon a 270G. that have styrofoam, but I think the tanks are flat bottomed, not the raised plastic mouldings. Never had a problem with them either. Having said that I also have numerous tanks with plywood underneath and the rest with nothing.

I completely agree that the most important thing is to have the stand level and the proper size for the tank.

Some of my tanks I have had now for 30 some years and have not so much as even had to resilicone them.

A last point is that not all of my tanks are absolutely perfectly level, but none are out more that 1/4".

So, let me get this straight. I'm building an alumium stand for my Oceanic 175 and all those endless minutes spent designing and making sure it will hold up the high level bridge were all for not???

All I needed to do was use four good corner supports and brace them sideways? I feel so used.

Thankx very much for the article. Next stand will be much more estheticly pleasing.

Rick

I am in the process of changing out the base of one of my tanks... I looked in Home Depot for some plywood and came across some medium density MDF that had a thin outside coating... I put a chunk on the floor and it is 100% level... all the plywood that I see doesnt look like it is all that level.... I can understand not going to the low density MDF but why not the medium that is heavier and appears to be better then plywoods...