New 450 gallon. Update!! Update 08/08/16

t-man

They just came and did the tank today. The 120 gallon sump didn't fit under the stand so they are going to modify it. They are coming back next week to put the braces and trim on the tank. I have been waiting since October for this to be started so hopefully it won't be too much longer. Here is what we have so far.

05/25/08

Braces and trim complete!

06/30/08

Well I put on 7 coats of paint and two coats of clear coat on the back. I dry fitted the plumbing first and then glued everything together. I started to fill it up last week to see if there was any leaks in the plumbing etc.. and this happened! We are not sure of the cause but they are going to fix it. I don't want to speculate on the problem but I am glad it's going to be fixed. It's going to take about 4 to 5 hrs to fix , plus all the plumbing has to come off the side. So it's the waiting game again. Here are some pics of it starting to fill up and then the pic of the problem. At first I thought it was pulling apart but after I drained it looked like its a crack down the side.

08/07/08

The tank is done and running! I plugged in the 4 heaters and it didn't take long to blow the breaker. I knew I might have some problems as my big screen tv,180 gallon and home theatre system run off the same breaker as the 450 gallon. I will have to call a electrician to see what he can do.

08/08/13

Electrician came and wired a new plug in with it's own breaker for the tank.

One thing I know for sure from all this experience is nothing goes as planned and there is lots to setting up a big tank.

Edited by t-man

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They just came and did the tank today. The 120 gallon sump didn't fit under the stand so they are going to modify it. They are coming back next week to put the braces and trim on the tank. I have been waiting since October for this to be started so hopefully it won't be too much longer. Here is what we have so far.

i thought my new 230 was sweet. that is sick dude. congratulations

very nice!!!! what is the footprint of the tank??? What kind of fish will you keep???? :thumbs:

It's 8' x 3' x 30" high. I have about 75 fish in my other tanks but I will probably throw my 4 Black arowanas in it and my breeding oscars,uarus and yellow jackets. I also have cuban cichlids and some Dovii that might go in . But then again I might just put some stingrays in the tank with the aros. The only thing for sure is the aros.

Edited by t-man

It's 8' x 3' x 30" high. I have about 75 fish in my other tanks but I will probably throw my 4 Black arowanas in it and my breeding oscars,uarus and yellow jackets. I also have cuban cichlids and some Dovii that might go in . But then again I might just put some stingrays in the tank with the aros. The only thing for sure is the aros.

How much was it, and where from?

oh man

cant wait to see the stocked pics.

did you go 30" high because of the blacks going in?

Gives the aros some room from anybody at the bottom. I was going to go 36" high but then its hard to reach the bottom of the tank for maintenance and arranging. It would have been nice to go 4 ' wide but it would have stuck out to far from the wall. If I started throwing furniture out of the basement to make room for tanks I wouldn't be to popular with my wife. LOL LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly the same as what the original poster has, but to satisfy the curiosity of those asking for a price I thought I would post the prices I got from Aquarium Illusions/Concept Aquariums today for a 96 X 30 X 30 375 gallon tank. I'm still thinking of going 36" deep myself but I have to go measure it.

Show Tank (no overflow boxes).......................$2,488.17

Show Tank (Starfire glass on front)..................$3,226.50

Dual Overflows...............................................$3,039.90

Dual Overflows(Starfire glass on front).............$3,778.23

Then there's the 135g sump, the powdercoated stand, custom millwork skirt and valence by my builder's cabinet maker, and a pump and plumbing. Tanks like these done right run in the neighborhood of $5000 to close to $8000. :boxed: