New To Calgary & CANADA

Fishfinger

My wife, cat & I moved to Calgary in March 2003 from the UK. I have kept fish in one guise or another for over 30 years (except the last 18 months or so). We are just in the process of setting up a 180 gallon freshwater aquarium. We don't know many of the "Fish Shops" in town so any tips will be gratefully recieved.

Dave :ml:

Hey fishfinger!

:welcome:

Welcome to Canada and to Alberta Aquatica!

Depending on the type of fish you are interested in keeping, Calgary has some excellent retailers.

I like Gold Aquariums, Riverfront Aquariums, Chums, and Pisces (just watch out for hybrids).

With a tank the size of yours, I'd definitely go Africans (Haps and Peacocks).

Anyway best of luck with your tank.

The Doc B)

hey welcome. :welcome: yea all those fish shops are good.

dont go for the africans. neo's All THE way.

if you need drygoods pices has the bes stock

golds has really good livestock as does riverfront

chums are the nicest store owners you will meet

for a 180 you should go with a female festae (golds has some great looking ones and riverfront has some wild caughts) a texas cichlid/green terror (they have some true terrors at riverfront), salvini (I got one I would give to you for 5 bucks) a pair of convicts (white male and striped female) and something else. this would be a very colorfull, pretty, interactive tank trust me, if you dont mind large beautifull fish you will love this tank.

dont go with the africans they will steal your soul :unsure: just ask canucklehead :boxed:

oh yea and I forgot to mention that majestic has the nicest, most beautifull stands you will see.... anywhere..... period. :)

Welcome, and best of luck with setting up the tank. Check the Vendor section for reviews on each of the stores listed, and make your own choice - that is the best way to go.

I would add Chums to the list as well.

Plus, post in the Buy, Sell, Trade section - many members may have some of the fish you are looking for at great quality and price that they are planning to sell anyway.

I would agree with everyone else for the stores of choice. Cant go wrong Chums, Golds, or riverfront. I myself like the Africans. I would like to meet someone who can change my mind tho. would like to hear why. I would suggest checking the buy, sell, trade here. You can find a tonne

This seems like a brilliant forum & is really tipical of the people we have met since we have been in this stunning province. Canada & particularly Alberta seems to be a well kept secret.

I have done a lot of different tanks over the years including Africans, marines & even a 200 gallon reef, so I feel it's time to go back to basics & just fill this bad boy with lots & lots of "little stuff" & loads of plants. I get the impression that plants are a bit on the pricey side. It's seems so long since I set up a freshwater tank that it's almost like starting over & I have lost track of the prices (a 5000 mile change of location hasn't help my memory any)

Just as an aside (& nothing to do with the fishkeeping), I manage a machine tool store in the N.E of Calgary so if anyone needs to use any of the tools in the store, just let me know & I'll see what we can do.

Thanks again

Dave :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...