EBJD/Regular JD lays eggs!**Free swimming!**

fatpuffer

My ebjd and my female regular jd finally laid eggs for the first time. Not sure how viable the eggs are...for now they look nice and beige/brown. The female is guarding and the male is patroling. There are barbs and 2 mollies in there but they are doing a great job protecting. I will try to take them out without stressing the jds.

Its funny...no water change in about 4 weeks, water level down an inch from the top, and inconsistent feeding schedule must have done the trick. I will change water...about 10 percent every other day.

Jonah

Edited by fatpuffer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Jonah! You do realize that the fry produced will be regular colored JD's, right?

You'll need to grow out some fry, save a few females, then breed them back to the EBJD.

That is if you want to get some EBJD's out of the deal.

Good job Jonah.

Save me some fry if it works out.

All eggs hatched...a lot more wigglers than I thought. Mom and Dad doing a good job protecting. It'll be interesting to see how much of the tank they defend once the fry are free swimming. So far so good. I just need to get one of the smaller female JD out of there, but I dont want to spook the pair.

Js

Hey that is exciting, I have a EBJD also and I am raising mine up with a regular female. They are only 3 inches right now. You are an inspiration! Save me some fry as well!

Yeah the wigglers are now free swimming. All other fish are out of the tank as they were getting beat up. My female is not that big...maybe 4" total length. I will see what I can do about the fry. I am leaving for about 2 weeks...I would be happy to have a handful survive during my holidays. It will help me get the strongest and fittest, I guess.

Post some pics of your ebjd. I am hoping to trade some Blue gene JD with other BGJD...I know of one other person in b.c.

Jonah

INteresting observation. I have been feeding the fry powdered NLS which I think they are eating. However, whenever I feed the mom and dad their own 3 ml pellets, instead of just gulping it down like they usually do, the ebjd will actually "chew" the food and spit it out in the direction of the fry. Not sure if he is purposely doing it but to my untrained eyes, he seems to be feeding them. Maybe its wishful thinking.

Js

I have seen many cichlid parents feed their fry like that: Apistos, Geos, and even Convicts!

Post some pics of your ebjd. I am hoping to trade some Blue gene JD with other BGJD...I know of one other person in b.c.

Jonah

Here is a photo of my EBJD, he is only 3.5 inches right now.