AQUACLEARS that FLOW OVER (out of the tank)

Bandi

So this has happened twice now. happened once...shame on Aquaclear...happen twice....shame on me. What am I doing wrong.

It would seem the square sponge at the bottom doesn't stay put and starts to rise up...pushing all the other media up and so the water level reaches the top and spills over. VERY FRUSTRATING because I can't seem to make that sponge sit and stay at the bottom.

My husband says, it is because the sponge is dirty and needs to be rinsed...this seems to help but only for a short time.

Any suggestions?

mmmmm... I've never ever had this problem! Only question I have is are you using the AC's sponges for the specific filter??

Anyways on a side note - where the hell have you been!! I haven't seen you post or anything for a VERY long time!! Good too see you again, I hope the farm and your tanks are doing great that is apart from this filter problem hehe.

Yes, the sponges on the bottom are Aquaclear sponges...I am tempted to try something new.

And, to respond to your side note...I am here everyday! I have made a couple of posts here and there...you just are not looking in the right places :tongue:

IME, ACs overflow when they're dirty or have too much media in them. If the sponge is rising up, I'm guessing the little media cage isn't secured against the impeller housing. Unless they've changed the design (haven't bought a new one in a LONG time), the media cage has a slot and the impeller housing has a tab - put said tab into said slot, and everything should stay put.

I have noticed two problems, one...the media cage rises dispite all attempts to secure it on the side tabs.

and two...the media cage stays down but the sponge and the floss and the bag of carbon all rise and cause the water level to reach critical over flow levels.

I don't know if it makes a difference but none of my AC have been purchased new by myself...they are all used...some look pretty old.

I used to like AC until this keeps cropping up.

IME, ACs overflow when they're dirty or have too much media in them. If the sponge is rising up, I'm guessing the little media cage isn't secured against the impeller housing. Unless they've changed the design (haven't bought a new one in a LONG time), the media cage has a slot and the impeller housing has a tab - put said tab into said slot, and everything should stay put.

What Jason said when the sponge is gettin dirty they push up happened to me couple times

If the cage stays put with out the sponge then it's your sponge that's dirty. I would just put a new sponge in if a rinsing doesn't last long. The water isn't able to flow through it so that's why its pushing everything up! If you have plecos in the tank with driftwood that could be a problem also. Plecos like the Royal pleco knaw at the wood to aid in digestion and it creates havoc on the aquaclear sponges!

I have used AC filters for longer than I can remember and I rinse the sponge filters every 2 weeks and rarely have a problem. Mind you I only use the sponge filter media - some have 2 which rises above the surface on the 110's but as long as they are kept clean they rarely overflow. Like already mentioned if you put a rock on the top then they will not overflow as the weight keeps the lid in place. It's only when the lid rises that they overflow. Again as already mentioned wood and other organic foods - veggies, etc.- will cause the sponges to get dirty faster so cleaning frequency may have to be increased. You will notice a brown slimy looking buildup on the outflows and you may have to remove that as well as lift your basket out and rinse all the junk off of the bottom as it restricts the flow and causes problems with the filters overflowing too.

I occasionally have this problem too and have 2 suggestions. One, get sponges that have bigger holes so it doesn't get plugged up as much and two, make sure the back of the filter is level or higher. Have found that some of my used AC's are missing the tab to level them. Am very proud of my one and only DIY project that involved gluing a piece of plastic to one of my AC's. Hope this helps!!!

I also had this problem even with a clean foam. As goofy as it sounds, you have to push the foam all the way down in the cage until the four "locking" tabs are positioned on the top of the foam. They will not hold the foam down if you don't do this. I also put a rock on top of the media to help. Even doing this, when that foam gets clogged, it is coming up.

It sounds like said above that the sponge is dirty and therefore clogged. I rinse mine out in a bucket of tank water and keep using them until they get clogged more frequently then I replace them. Also using a sponge that has bigger wholes will help this matter. I have bought two different kinds from aquaclear one kind has fine wholes and the other has larger wholes. I cheat and look in the packaging before I buy them. It could just be older stock but I have had success over the years being able to get both. I also use a weight on top of my aquaclears. I would uggest a piece of slate or something flat that doesn't take your eye away from the tank when you or company our enjoying watching your fish.

Sean