Old School Power Filters

wmeier

Looking at a 180 tank that comes with an Aquaclear 1200 and 70 power filters. I have never been a fan of those fliters that hang over the glass. I know these are pretty old and not enough filtering for 180 gal, but what is anyones opinions on these, reliability, parts availability, etc.?

I love my Aquaclear filters and use them on 90% of my tanks. They are good filters, move a lot of water and are easy to clean. The only tanks I use canisters on are my planted tanks. For my smaller tanks I prefer ACs because of the cost and on my big african tank the ACs do a really good job of cleaning and keeping the water flow up. I have some that have been running for 10years without issues.

Definitely don't throw them out if they work. Either sell them or give them away if you don't want them. The 1200 is an older model but is still good if the motor still works.

For a 180g you'll need more filtration then those provide though. What will you be stocking?

I would get a large canister (FX5 or Eheim Pro) in addition to the AC1200, and filtration will never limit your stocking levels!

I love how easy to clean the AC's are, as opposed to canisters. But agree that on bigger tanks canisters work better. My 75G with a fluval 404 water is way more clear than my 75G with the AC110, the water in the AC 110 tank always seems to have a greenish tinge.to it.

• 2 weeks later...

FX5's will out perform the Eheim's any day especially for Pleco or large fish. The Eheim's are quieter, and use less power but cost wise I see the FX5 as the better value pricepoint vs performance. Cannisters are the way to go on large tanks as it keeps the filters out of site and also allow easier service since you aren't reaching over the back of a large tank to clean a filter. If you add a 20ft section or more of a ribbed hose to the extra fluval valve with the FX5 you can drain and clean the tank in 30 mins removing 100 gallons of water with the filter motor.