Help Fish Dying!

SuperGuppyGirl

Lost 5 fish yesterday, and 5 today all with this red spot. Tank contains angelfish, apistos, rams corys, platys and some betta females. Test strips gh 180, kh 80, ph 6.5, no2 0.5, no3 40, ammonia 0-0.5. WC 30% done 2 days ago. Fish lost apistos, corys and betta splenden females. Please help no new fish or plants added, were transferred from 2-33/35 gallon tanks to 75G, four days ago. Tank has live plants, sand, driftwood, some slate, some terrium resin stones, a AC 110 filter and hydor 4 sponge filter.

The first thing that comes to mind are your water parameters. The tank obviously hasn't completed cycling. Water change time. And stop feeding them as this creates waste and further worsens the problems.

Any amount of ammonia or itrite is too much. So clear up the toxic water conditions and everything should fix itself.

I was under the impression that the 75 gallon in question has been running for some time. Perhaps your tap water had an issue to cause the Nitrite and Ammonia readings???? Why is your PH 6.5? Do you do something to lower it. Mine is 8.3 from the tap?

Good points. There is the possibility your tests are pooped. Also do you use strips for more than PH and hardness?

Was test strips for all readings and the tank has been running since September. I'm at a loss, fish are active at night before lights out and active and eating first thing in the morning at lights on. Come home from work and boom I find them on the bottom or floating.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I'm not a pro at this, but the marks on the fish look like a pleco was having a snack. We had goldfish way back when, and any that died/were dying had the same marks on them...pleco never attacked healthy fish, but injured/sick/dead he'd latch on and cause a mark like that.... I think something else is the cause, but the marks might not be a symptom...just my 2 cents...

If your parameters are out of wack... you added a bunch of fish to a different tank. Perhaps your biofilter was not equipped to handle to new load? Might be why you're seeing the ammonia and nitrite. That's my first thought.

No plecos in tank, but could it be aggression wounds? The angels in tank have started getting live food from the guppies in the tank is fry ( forgot to mention them). Just tested my tap water with the strips readings are GH 180, kh 80, pH 6.5, no2 0, no3 0, ammonia 0

There is no way your water is coming out of the tap at pH 6.5 in Edmonton. I would stop relying on these as an accurate measure of what's going on in your tank - it's not even ball park. If nitrite or ammonia were your problem, all of your fish would be showing signs of stress, or at least all of a certain species. It really does look and sound like targeted aggression. Angels are my prime suspect - beautiful fish, but you have to remember that they ARE a medium sized cichlid...