How do you get banned from this site?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To get back on track and answer the original question in a nutshell, there are two main general areas for banning on most forums:

1) breech of forum rules, and

2) disrespect towards the administration team (admins, mods, and other administrative staff).

That's the nutshell version.

Now when you talk to people who have been banned, they usually explain it as one of two reasons:

1) I got banned because of something silly, and

2) I have no idea why I was banned. I don't understand.

So why are there these two popular choices? Well, let's look at them:

1) I got banned because of something silly. Most common translation: I don't agree with the reason why I was banned, so I think it is silly.

In this case, the offender usually knows exactly why they were banned, and what they did to deserve it. However, they seem to think that because the site is open to the public, that they are allowed to do whatever they want to on it. Sorry, house rules apply on websites just as if you were throwing a party - if you are unhappy with the conduct of a guest, or the way they are treating other guests, you ask them to fix their behaviour. If they don't agree, you ask them to leave. If they don't leave, you send in the bouncers.

2) I have no idea why I was banned. I don't understand. Most common translation: I don't want to give the real reason why I was banned.

Usually these types of situations involve a user that either is not giving the whole story, or they can't understand why they aren't allowed to break a rule - therefore they "don't understand." You've met many of these people, as they seem to be more common than the first group. They gripe on other sites about how they were banned, and many times state that "all of a sudden I'm banned, and they won't give me a reason why!!!"

These situations usually involve private messages back and forth between the staff and the member. I have personally seen on this and other sites quite vulgar messages sent to the staff for asking a member to follow a simple rule, and when the behaviour AND now disrespect continued they were banned - only to show up elsewhere stating that "I have no idea why I was banned. I don't understand."

In my time spent here as a moderator, what I haven't ever seen on this site is a member receive LESS THAN THREE separate warnings and receive a banning.

No one can say they weren't given a chance.

So plain and simple, you get warned, change the offending behaviour. If you don't, you will end up being banned.

What is to stop a banned person from signing up using another user name,e-mail address, etc?

I'll take this one... Nothing stops them from trying... but there are ways to be 'caught'. Repetitive behavior is one... IP addresses can be another. Behaviour is often a LOT harder to change than an IP address... and is the number one way people gte busted.

Personally (and that means speaking for myself ONLY) I don't mind if someone who is banned rejoins and tries to turn over a new leaf... they are more than welcome to do so. If they rejoin just to spite us I have a different outlook, as I think any respectable, mature person would.

Personally (and that means speaking for myself ONLY) I don't mind if someone who is banned rejoins and tries to turn over a new leaf... they are more than welcome to do so. If they rejoin just to spite us I have a different outlook, as I think any respectable, mature person would.

I am with you on this one, I totally agree.

Tom.

Well, I swore I wouldn't post in this thread, but so much for that ........

In my time spent here as a moderator, what I haven't ever seen on this site is a member receive LESS THAN THREE separate warnings and receive a banning.

Were the people that are now banned, told that they would receive a permanent suspension when they received their warnings?

Just curious ......

Speaking from experience, it's not always plain, nor simple, when one gets banned from a forum. I'm not directing this just at fish forums either, some mods, as well as admin, are nothing short of power tripping weenies. Some have financial agendas, some simply don't like any comment that might upset the status quo.

I ran into just this situation last week on another forum, and although I wasn't banned, I did send a PM to the admin, and told them exactly how I felt, and why I will never return. I wasn't the only person that saw what was happening, which included one of the people who finance that particular forum. Their loss ....

Having been on many forums over the past decade, fish related, and non fish related, I've just about seen it all, including people being banned for no other reason than they upset a mods buddy. POOF - they were gone.

Plain? Simple? Not exactly ......

So please, let's not be painting *every* person that has ever been banned form an online forum, with the same brush.

ditto, and on that note, I personally think it would be nice to see Rahim get a second chance on AA.

And here's my real rub, I happen to agree with Albert 100%.

When I asked why Rahim was banned (back when I first found out he was banned) the 'situation' was explained to me by an admin, I didn't agree, but I respected his decision. When I asked a mod, I was told that he couldn't discuss another members banning, yet here it now is being aired for the world to read.

Not too cool IMO.

Were the people that are now banned, told that they would receive a permanent suspension when they received their warnings?

Just curious ......

Can't remember, but I also don't see why that would affect the outcome. Are you saying that a warning of being banned isn't good enough, and that it has to be a warning of "permanent banning"? That's like saying it's okay to break the law unless you're threatened with capital punishment. :bang1:

So please, let's not be painting *every* person that has ever been banned form an online forum, with the same brush.

Hope you're not referring to my comments, as I thought I had placed the word "usually" in cases where people might think I was referring to *every* member. If not, let me know, and I'll change it to reflect what I meant. :)

When I asked a mod, I was told that he couldn't discuss another members banning, yet here it now is being aired for the world to read.

I still don't see where Rahim's banning has been discussed, except for J-ROC's comments and comments made by other members. I was simply stating my experiences with banning, and trying to answer the original question, and get away from the topic of Rahim as requested by degrassi.

Speaking from experience, it's not always plain, nor simple, when one gets banned from a forum. I'm not directing this just at fish forums either, some mods, as well as admin, are nothing short of power tripping weenies. Some have financial agendas, some simply don't like any comment that might upset the status quo.

KA-CHING. Jackpot for RD.

Edited by Moogled

Guys lets leave rahim out of this as he has nothing to do with the original question.

Care to offer a solution? I'm sorry, but names and examples need to be used. Short of this, we all sit around and twiddle our thumbs. I'm getting sick of the liberal attitude and censorship, honest, and I think it's just going to be a bigger detriment if it continues.

Say what you want about the decisions made here, But Rahim was banned for reasons explained here and WILL NOT be allowed back.

Not everone is going to agree with decisions made here on this forum.*Plain and Simple*

It's up to you to decide if you can live with them. I know i can.

Since the original question has been answered I beleive this topic is done.

O.K-fair enough, administration has made a decision, that's cool.

So, I see it like this. Garrett was banned for ripping off Dunl and ChloeClose on Hybrids. (not to mention the issues with his Mom)

So, can members suggest the next banning, cause quite frankly, one member is coming to mind for me. Perhaps just a miss communication, but it has been months. So fine, my loss, but it may help other members from getting the same happening to them. I have tried to deal with this via pm, and e-mail without any success-so perhaps bringing it to light on a relevant thread is the next best option? After all, that's what this is all about right?

So, can members suggest the next banning, cause quite frankly, one member is coming to mind for me. Perhaps just a miss communication, but it has been months. So fine, my loss, but it may help other members from getting the same happening to them. I have tried to deal with this via pm, and e-mail without any success-so perhaps bringing it to light on a relevant thread is the next best option? After all, that's what this is all about right?

Rather than calling an open season on each other, which this would do, it's preferred that members having a dispute or diagreement that they can't solve with another member take it up via PM with a mod or admin.

Administration decides if banning is necessary or not, although moderators can help with disputes.

Not sure if that answered it or not?

When I asked why Rahim was banned (back when I first found out he was banned) the 'situation' was explained to me by an admin, I didn't agree, but I respected his decision. When I asked a mod, I was told that he couldn't discuss another members banning, yet here it now is being aired for the world to read.

From the standpoint of a community member I think that is not so cool.

If you are going to exclude somebody for the betterment of the community I can undertand that but why the cloak and dagger? What possible benifit is there to maintaining secrets like that? Unless the administrative proceess is open and yes, accountable nobody will trust it. You will get rumors and petty BS and threads like this.

I know this is how most other forums do things but let's face it, most other forums suck.