50w heater

johnsmith

If the tank is in a room that isn't cool, I think you'll be fine. If it's in the basement, you might want a 2nd 50W.

Gallons/Liters 5ºC/9ºF 10ºC/18ºF 15ºC/27ºF

5 gal/25 L 25 watt 50 watt 75 watt

10 gal/50 L 50 watt 75 watt 75 watt

20 gal/75 L 50 watt 75 watt 150 watt

25 gal/100 L 75 watt 100 watt 200 watt

40 gal/150 L 100 watt 150 watt 300 watt

50 gal/200 L 150 watt 200 watt two 200 watt

65 gal/250 L 200 watt 250 watt two 250 watt

75 gal/300 L 250 watt 300 watt two 300 watt

Instructions:

Subtract the average temperature of the room the aquarium is located in from the temperature you wish to maintain the aquarium water at. Find the size of your aquarium in the left hand column and move to the column that shows the number of degrees the aquarium needs to be heated. If the heating requirement is between levels, move up to the next larger size.

In larger tanks, or where the room temperature is significantly below the desired water temperature, two heaters may be required. Heaters should be installed at opposite ends of the aquarium to heat it more evenly.

Example:

Average Room Temp = 68 degrees F

Desired Water Temp = 77 degrees F

-----------------------------------------

Heating required = 9 degrees F

Tank Size = 20 gallon

Heater size needed = 50 watts

I hope this helps you out! :beer:

Edited by TheGr8Blade

Typical rule of thumb is 4W per gallon, but if the room is consistanly nice and warm (in the 76º-78ºF range) then you can get away with 2W-3W per gallon...just remember that a heater of greater wattage will work less hard and be on less often.

When I was posting my equipment for my future 180, which will also have a 55 gallon sump, filled halfway, so a total volume of about 205 gallons or so, I was going to have 4 250w heaters. People kept telling me I was using too many heaters, and that 3 would even be overkill.

The thread I'm talking about

Now I'm reading a whole different story. Don't want to hijack this thread, but for my own clarification, so I do not risk my tank, should I be using 1 or 2 250 watt heaters in my 180 gallon tank 55 gallon sump combo, or should I be using 3 or 4?

That's the only problem with this forum, widely conflicting information! I bought 4 heaters because the link provided in DIY forum sticky topics, seen here, advises 897 watts of heat. I personally think that when people give information that is not based in fact, but personal opinion/experience, they should state as much.

Again, sorry to hijack this thread for a moment, but things like that bug me. I don't want to risk my fish life because of misinformation.

-Hideo

Most Rules of Thumb are based on the more common circumstances. Most people don't have more than 90 gallons of water in thier system, so the 4W/g works well.

When you get into higher volumes, it takes quite a while for the temp to change, so you can actually get away with less. The same idea goes for lighting a planted tank - you'll see the 2-3W/g rule, but when you get up to larger tanks over 100 gallons, you're looking a A LOT of light!

My recommendation, start with 2, if it's not doing the job, then you might want to add another heater.

This topic raises a good point about my compaint with Stealth Heaters - they have no light to indicate when they're on.

Sure they're trying to be stealthy so a light might be distracting, but the knob to change the temp is bright red, much more distracting than if a small light came on once in a while.

I personally think that when people give information that is not based in fact, but personal opinion/experience, they should state as much.

Again, sorry to hijack this thread for a moment, but things like that bug me. I don't want to risk my fish life because of misinformation.

I think that when you're going to casually insult someone in a thread you should have the decency to mention their name. There are those of us who've had tanks this size for years, have the heaters, the experience and the working knowledge of theoretical heat transfer to make an informed suggestion, which I might add was intended to help you save money. You’re being a cocky twit who has no idea what he’s talking about, and to coin a phrase, “things like that bug me”.

I personally think that when people give information that is not based in fact, but personal opinion/experience, they should state as much.

I think that when you're going to casually insult someone in a thread you should have the decency to mention their name. There are those of us who've had tanks this size for years, have the heaters, the experience and the working knowledge of theoretical heat transfer to make an informed suggestion, which I might add was intended to help you save money. You’re being a cocky twit who has no idea what he’s talking about, and to coin a phrase, “things like that bug me”.

I didn't casually insult you, quit being so self-indulgent. More than you told me the same thing, including several people via pm. Rather than being a little girl about it insulting me, you could have just explained your position, and how it's NOT misinformation.

-Hideo

Personally I don't take any info here as fact, but base it on other peoples experience. I also don't just follow the advice here but I do compare it to what I have researched. I wouldn't buy or not buy anything just because someone here told me to or not to.

To the original poster I hope you found the answer that you were looking for. To you other two :boxer:

I will try to answer both heater questions.

For my 180 gallon I run two 250 W Ebos and I keep the tank at 77 F. I don't need three heatars and I don't want to chance one heater as it is a 6 ft tank and I want even heating.

Regarding the smaller tank - I recently was given a 20 gallon tank and I only had a 50W Ebo on hand. I thought I'd need more wattage but thought "what the heck, I'll give it a try." It is on the main floor and keeps the tank at 78F but I notice it is on a lot. Twenty-five gallon tanks might need more, I use 100-125W on my 33 gallons.

Edited by punman