Tank not entirely level.

Mighty Prawn

So my 180, in 2 corners on the metal stand, is not touching the stand in a front right corner, and a back left corner. It doesn't touch by about 1mm, but it's enough that I can see underneath. What would be the best thing to do? Should I put shims underneath? Or should I attempt to empty it out, and raise the entire thing and put a wooden board underneath?

Or is it fine? I don't know for sure but seems like it would put stress on the tank like this.

You'd think when they make it they would check for these things!

-Hideo

It was only half way full for about 10 minutes when I noticed it. It's on laminate, and the floor is level the entire length of the tank, the stand is also level on its own, as is the tank, and everything is level when together.

I don't know if the powder coating on the metal stand is thicker in some spot, or if it's just not perfect or what it is!

I've been reading online and seeing suggestions to fill it and it will just "Settle". I thought putting stress on glass to bend like that is bad.

-Hideo

I'd put a layer of styrofoam underneath it if it was me. I would assume the styro would mold to any type of imperfection like that due to the weight of the water in the tank.

I agree with Darcy... on top of the stand, put a sheet of plywood, and then syrofoam on top of that. Use a thinner styrofoam so it's not too squishy. The biggest advantage is if the tank should break, the stro/plywood will support the bottom, so it will only crack and leak, instead of dumping the entire contents (ask Ed Holland about THAT one... ).

• 4 weeks later...

I would say your on borrowed Time! Think about it. You literally have a tonne of weight there, you agree? If it has held thus far on two corners, you are extremely lucky.

I have only seen 50 gallons of water on the floor before... Man, would that suck for you.

Don't try shimming it, just drain it and put it on some styrofoam.

PUTTING STRESS LIKE THAT ON GLASS IS REALLY BAD! Got insurance?

• 3 weeks later...

Styrofoam would be good, returning the stand and building Your own would be best. Think about it, it is likely the stand and if imperfections in the stand are visible, maybe the whole stand is a recall or a bad idea. What if the fact that this stand made it through QC meant it was never checked or worse yet it was checked and still got through? If it is a welded stand it obviously wasn't conforming to standards, if a weld breaks, no styrofoam in the world will save Your tank. As for Your laminate, hmmm. It sucks but draining Your tank and building a stand can be a great fix and add security to Your sleep at night. Not a great carpenter? check out warf for simple designs. Still not sure of Your skills? Up 2x4 to 2x6 and use lots of glue, for beginners taking Your cutlist down to Home depot and asking them to cut the pieces precisely can't hurt actually saves time too. Paint it up and do the styro on the top and bang something You can be proud of and feel safe with for likely less than the stand cost.

If all fails ask someone here to help design it, they may even help You build it or atleast help You cut and mark the pieces for assembly.

Styrofoam would be good, returning the stand and building Your own would be best. Think about it, it is likely the stand and if imperfections in the stand are visible, maybe the whole stand is a recall or a bad idea. What if the fact that this stand made it through QC meant it was never checked or worse yet it was checked and still got through? If it is a welded stand it obviously wasn't conforming to standards, if a weld breaks, no styrofoam in the world will save Your tank. As for Your laminate, hmmm. It sucks but draining Your tank and building a stand can be a great fix and add security to Your sleep at night. Not a great carpenter? check out warf for simple designs. Still not sure of Your skills? Up 2x4 to 2x6 and use lots of glue, for beginners taking Your cutlist down to Home depot and asking them to cut the pieces precisely can't hurt actually saves time too. Paint it up and do the styro on the top and bang something You can be proud of and feel safe with for likely less than the stand cost.

If all fails ask someone here to help design it, they may even help You build it or atleast help You cut and mark the pieces for assembly.

Mighty prawn:

This is the ticket. I think the welded stand is out of whack. By buioling your own you wind up with lots of storage for the support stuff. Have a look at the wood stands at PetSmart. They go together without any fastenings and take about 5 minutes to set up. Not too difficult to "knock off".

Cheers;

Tank has been empty for so long now.

I got the stand from Gold's, quite a long time ago. 250$ is a lot of money to just throw away. I'd be more than pleased to be able to build a wooden stand, unfortunately being a student doesn't lend itself well to spending more than 5$ on anything at all.

So I suppose it'll remain empty. Though it seems no fishkeepers in the world can agree whether or not styrofoam and plywood will fix such a tiny problem.

-Hideo

I'd be more than pleased to be able to build a wooden stand, unfortunately being a student doesn't lend itself well to spending more than 5$ on anything at all.

-Hideo

I built a new stand for my 55 recently and all it cost me was $12 for 100 screws, with lots left over. I got my 2X4's from pallets at work and back alleys, while my 3/4" plywood top and lower shelf came free from a construction site. My main criteia was that the boards be straight as they can be covered with panelling later if I decide.

Stand4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tank has been sitting dry and empty for a long time, now. I finally got some people together to lift the tank and put it on top of the plywood and styrofoam.

Today I'm going to start filling it again. Cautiously and slowly, because the tank has about 1-2mm that it hangs over the styrofoam. I doubt that matters because the frame is supported all along, but can't be too careful!

I used the coarse white styrofoam, but wish I had got the denser pink kind.

-Hideo