Hello

Nandopsis

Hey Hi new to the site.....which is great.

I have learned so much already.

My question is to anyone who can help (terrors r us) looks like he would know. With a 180gal tank and

wood stand, about 2072lb or more, do I need to get an inspector to look at my house to see if it will be

safe? Is this something insurance companies want to know? So I need to put a rubber mat/pad, or blue

foam, under the tank - between stand?

From Central Alberta,

I have........

Just sold a 72 gal bowfront

33gal frogs & newts

33gal salamanders

44gal 2 bearded dragons

20 gal leapard gecko

20 empty, 10 empty

2 cockatiels

1 puggle - 5 puppies

Hello Slerd..........What length, width and height is the tank????

First of all requarding your stand...........I would put a piece of plywood 3/4inch thick

(same size as your tank) on top of the stand.... then get a blue piece of blue insulated

pad(like you were talking about) on top of that and finally another piece of plywood on top of the insulated pad....

before you place your tank on top.....(Note the thickness of the plywood could be

reduced to 1/2 inch, IMO)

Secondly, if the stand you have has feet then I would use some 2x6 studs underneath the entire length of the stand (front and back or side to side) also I would get some 4x4 metal squares (about1/4inch

thick) and place them between the feet and the 2x6 studs.

Now it is VERY IMPORTANT to place the tank against a wall with a concrete footing below

or near the center support beam of the house.

The 2x6 studs that run under the feet of the tank have to be placed the opposite

direction of your house trusses(the 2x8 studs holding up your house)

example; if your house trusses are running north & south then run your 2x6 studs

east and west....This gives it alot more strength

............the weight of the tank will be distributed over more studs.....

I had a 240 gal tank (6ftx2ftx3ft) set up in this manner in a town house and it was fine...

But I am not a structural engineer so I would look in the yellow pages and get

their advise......always better safe than sorry....also the safety issues.....

exploding tanks could kill...........

I had all my tanks insured for property damage and it was not expensive....

I would just tell them the exact facts and you will have one less worry....

good luck .................

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I would really appreciate some suggestions for my tank, I would really like to put some sand in it. Can you get black sand? What kind of filters, fish, etc? Please feel free to PM me if you have any ideas. Anyone who might be interested in a couple of plecos, I have 3 and I think that really is 2 too many for the size of my tank!

Hi I am new to this website and just saying hello to everyone on the website.

I am 16 years old and I live in Spruce Grove.

I have one 25 gallon tanks with a common pleco, two goldfish, an one otto. I am having a few problems with the 25 though, but it is kind of starting to get better. :smokey: :smokey:

:welcome: Welcome to AA!

Have you thought about getting a large school of colorful tetras (12 - 24)? They look incredible when they move as a group.

Are you really attached to your goldfish? They have much different temperature requirements than most of the colorful tropical fish available.

:welcome: Welcome to the forum.

I think that Slough Shark may live in or around Spruce Grove.

Are you attached to your goldfish? They have very different temperature requirements than the rest of your fish.

As well, Otos do best in planted tanks and you may have a hard time keeping your tank planted with goldfish - they like vegetation!!

Hey Hi new to the site.....which is great.

I have learned so much already.

My question is to anyone who can help (terrors r us) looks like he would know. With a 180gal tank and

wood stand, about 2072lb or more, do I need to get an inspector to look at my house to see if it will be

safe? Is this something insurance companies want to know? So I need to put a rubber mat/pad, or blue

foam, under the tank - between stand?

From Central Alberta,

I have........

Just sold a 72 gal bowfront

33gal frogs & newts

33gal salamanders

44gal 2 bearded dragons

20 gal leapard gecko

20 empty, 10 empty

2 cockatiels

1 puggle - 5 puppies

Hello Slerd..........What length, width and height is the tank????

First of all requarding your stand...........I would put a piece of plywood 3/4inch thick

(same size as your tank) on top of the stand.... then get a blue piece of blue insulated

pad(like you were talking about) on top of that and finally another piece of plywood on top of the insulated pad....

before you place your tank on top.....(Note the thickness of the plywood could be

reduced to 1/2 inch, IMO)

Secondly, if the stand you have has feet then I would use some 2x6 studs underneath the entire length of the stand (front and back or side to side) also I would get some 4x4 metal squares (about1/4inch

thick) and place them between the feet and the 2x6 studs.

Now it is VERY IMPORTANT to place the tank against a wall with a concrete footing below

or near the center support beam of the house.

The 2x6 studs that run under the feet of the tank have to be placed the opposite

direction of your house trusses(the 2x8 studs holding up your house)

example; if your house trusses are running north & south then run your 2x6 studs

east and west....This gives it alot more strength

............the weight of the tank will be distributed over more studs.....

I had a 240 gal tank (6ftx2ftx3ft) set up in this manner in a town house and it was fine...

But I am not a structural engineer so I would look in the yellow pages and get

their advise......always better safe than sorry....also the safety issues.....

exploding tanks could kill...........

I had all my tanks insured for property damage and it was not expensive....

I would just tell them the exact facts and you will have one less worry....

good luck .................

First off ...thank you so much. I had so many questions, about this tank, and you have hit alot of

them right of the bat.

I would sure like to hear the story about "Exploding tanks can kill" I hope that kids weren't

involved, Iam sure the fish were.?

- Tank is 25" wide, 74' Longe

- Yes I will be informing my insurance company about this tank, with a report from the house

inspector.

- My tank stand has a decrative edge 2" deep so your suggestion of the plywood, then insulated

pad will work without seeing the blue foam. Maybe thats what that 2" lip is for.

- The base doesn't have feet, it has support wood straight down on all 4 sides, I haven't flipped it over

yet to see if it is as you described. I will need help to look at that. If the stand has no feet do I still

need to re-enforce?

- The tank will go on the outside wall of the 2nd floor, above the concrete footings, and I will move the

the tank to were the center support beam is.........THANKS

- Thanks for the info on the studs....I get studs!

- I wish I had learned all this from the guy I bought it from. Why does everybody say bigger is better?

Till the next set of questions....bye

• 1 month later...

Hello

live in edmonton and dont own any fish tanks but my room mate has at least 10 tanks.

I'm responsible to feed and take care of his fish fairly often. He told me to join this site to learn all about fish .

My favorite fish is a 6 banded Distichodus, we have a 12inch one that schools with our tinfoil barbs.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

In searching for information on my new Koi fish i was told about this site by two different people. It's nice to see that so many people care about their pets and i hope to keep mine for the next thirty or more years. I'm still trying to find a name for him and since he is a Koi fish i think a Japanese name would be great. I'm from edmonton and I thought getting a fish and keeping it would be fairly in expensive :wacko: :bang1: LIttle did i realize that Koi grow faster than weeds. It's blown my budget for the month allready. I'm very nervious about keeping Him/her heathy so i've been back to the pet store numerous times to pick the brains of the fish experts(?) :well: :well: :well: I'm glad there are people out there with the expert knowledge :bow: that are willing to share and help. Thanks in advance.

Have a wonderfull week everyone

L -ham- -ham- :D

I'm still trying to find a name for him and since he is a Koi fish i think a Japanese name would be great.

How about Sushi?