Metal vs wood stands

bottomdweller_fan

I would think metal would win hands down - not as DIY as wood (unless you're a welder or know one), but you can build a metal stand that could hold up a bus much easier than a wooden stand. With metal an 'overbuilt' stand is able to be done with either thicker walls or larger tubing, so you lose less workable space (ie. your posts aren't nearly as thick as a couple of 2x4's together, and you're gap from top shelf to bottom shelf is also smaller - think also a 4" horizontal support from a wooden stand vs. a 2" support from steel tubing - meaning your top shelf can be 2" lower without sacrificing the space between the shelves or having to drop your bottom shelf). I've made a bunch of metal stands throughout the years (grandpa is a welder by trade), with the oldest being probably 7-8 years and looks no different than the day we made it.

I have a 130 held up by a metal stand and a 180 held up by a wooden stand and they are both the same for being sturdy.

and all my other aquariums are supported by wood stands that I have made. Really I prefer wood since it is cheaper

and holds just fine. I have wooden tank stands as old a 25 years old and still holding strong! Wood can be stronger then you think.

Each has advantages and disadvantages. with a steel stand depending on the matterial it can be strong and light in weight. but it also usualy has a smaller contact area on the floor and tank base, which means more psi on the contact areas. Also most steel frames are not very attractive. Wood stands usualy weigh more but you can have a very nice looking cabinet. And the contact area is usualy a lot greater on the floor and tank.

I prefer wood b/c of the DIY factor. For my metal stand under my 135, I just built a plywood skirt, and it's perdy enough for the wife! :thumbs:

IMO wood wins hands down. Then again I am very biased towards solid oak furniture. :)

A properly built wood stand made from a quality hard wood is far more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and as Nick mentioned has far more contact area on both the tank & the floor. If properly built & maintained, a wooden stand can easily last long enough to be passed down several generations.

It all boils down to personal preference, and/or how much $$ one wants to spend.

I just build a wooden stand for my 240 gal. $211.00 for material and done in two days.Steel stand could of been done for about the same price , maybe a bit more but under $300.00. But was looking at 3 to 4 weeks.

Nothing fancy about the stand I build . Went for strengh not looks. Painted black and looks not bad.

The wife was impressed :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

And that is what counts....lol

I built a steel stand once and even after many coats of paint, the base would rust after spilling a small amount of water. I ended up putting a plastic runner under the tank to keep the rust off the carpet, but that too was a real pain.

Well, I won't deny that I am totally biased, but my vote is for steel.

As mentioned, you can have the same strength with less mass, meaning more space under tank for storage, sumps for your wet/dry,etc.

And as far as spreading the load, the perimetyer style frame I used to build my stand negates that argument as well. On the rust issue, well, if the metal is properly prepared for paint, that does not become an issue either:) (I went big time and powdercoated mine:).

If uncoated metal is causing RUST, then the same area uncoated on wood would likely cause warpage.....

Have a look @ the pics (WITH COMMENTS) in my gallery..........maybe I can convert some of you woodies to steel :rolleyes:

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?autom...um&album=77

JAMES

Edited by James (Western Canada)

thats a GREAT looking stand ya built james. ya did a really good job. im a wood guy through and through and work with it all day long. it can be STRONGER than steel when used right. its all in your preferance, wood is cheaper and easy to assemble (a drill and screws) if you have a welder and KNOW how to use it,power to ya. it boils down to personal preferance. build whatever kind of stand YOU want, its going in your house! :chair: :beer: :drunk: :wacko: