Boom's 180 Gallon Tank Project

Boom

Oh ya, I almost forgot. Here's a video of the tank with fish! And my first Youtube video ever!

Enjoy! And if you're logged on to youtube, please leave feedback. If not, just leave the feedback here. Thanks.

Edited by Boom

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the pic w/o the blue lights, personally; but, to each their own, eh. I think you'll be fine with your cycle, don't think you should see any problems, especially if the filter material wasn't allowed to dry, or run on an empty tank for any real amount of time.

Fish look happy! :thumbs:

Thanks guys! Any comments on this?

Now a question for you all with large tanks and sumps. I'm not real happy that only the top inch of water goes down for filtration (over the overflow). It seems that there is alot of floating fish poo and such that never gets sucked down there. What are my options to deal with some of this? I was thinking of adding a small but powerful submersible filter on either end of the tank. Other suggestions?

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Now a question for you all with large tanks and sumps. I'm not real happy that only the top inch of water goes down for filtration (over the overflow). It seems that there is alot of floating fish poo and such that never gets sucked down there. What are my options to deal with some of this? I was thinking of addina a small but powerful submersible filter on either end of the tank. Other suggestions?

Thanks all.

Now I know you already have your overflow installed and tank running but the easiest way in a drilled is a double walled overflow. One side (of the 2 that are in the water) has 2 walls with slits at the bottom to suck "poo"" in then up and over a lowered (lower than the other top filtration side) inner wall. I suppose you could retrofit without need of silicone, just not sure how right now.

Easiest is a few powerheads to keep water moving, but you might have issues with sand being disturbed.

PS Awesome setup

Edited by mikeymik'd

Thank you very much guys. I think I prefer the white lights as well for the primary lighting. I'll keep the blue ones on just for night lights and to throw on for effect once and a while.

Mikeymik'd, I think I understand what your saying, but I can't think of a way to do that without draining the tank, or at least the overflow completely. Would a pair of powerheads with some foam secured to the intakes do me any good do you think?

Devocole, the rocks are from Canar, and I have some left over if anyone is interested. Half the price of what I paid for them.

Keep in mind guys that this isn't done yet! So keep checking back for more updates!

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

As I've said before this is an awesome post, but after realizing you have a video cam, I'm thinking you should have videoed the whole building process. You could have sold it online as a DIY aquarium DVD. I think I would have picked it up if the price was right.

Great job Boom. Everyone in the tank looks happy.

Mikeymik'd, I think I understand what your saying, but I can't think of a way to do that without draining the tank, or at least the overflow completely. Would a pair of powerheads with some foam secured to the intakes do me any good do you think?

I think the output would be the issue (other than the sand chewing up the impellers). I dont run sand in my tanks nor do I run powerheads so maybe someone who does can chime in.

What about a PVC U tube that runs to the bottom? I was thinking maybe using a power head to power it but that could be a disaster waiting to happen.....

Edited by mikeymik'd

Hydor Koralia powerheads move a lot of water but have a more dispersed flow pattern than regular powerheads like a Maxijet. It would help keep fish poo suspended so that your filter can get it. Most reefers I know use these and I have one in my turtle tank with a sand substrate and have no issues.

DSCN5743.jpg

Hydor Koralia powerheads move a lot of water but have a more dispersed flow pattern than regular powerheads like a Maxijet. It would help keep fish poo suspended so that your filter can get it. Most reefers I know use these and I have one in my turtle tank with a sand substrate and have no issues.

Should have known the grand "Poo" bah would know how to keep the "poo" suspended!