Water change CATASTROPHE WHYY

Ishkabod

Okay i've been around long enough to know you change the water and match the temp and add prime. Well Done and Done BUT within minutes one electric yellow was dead along with an Eureka red Peacock. One yellow and another peacock were not looking so well and the one died a few minutes later. the other eureka red seems to be sick right now but it's still hanging in there. They were completely fine before the WC. Why did they die?? What should i do.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :unsure: :well: :well: :chair:

Lisa

Edited by Ishkabod

Okay i've been around long enough to know you change the water and match the temp and add prime. Well Done and Done BUT within minutes one electric yellow was dead along with an Eureka red Peacock. One yellow and another peacock were not looking so well and the one died a few minutes later. the other eureka red seems to be sick right now but it's still hanging in there. They were completely fine before the WC. Why did they die?? What should i do.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :unsure: :well: :well: :chair:

Lisa

Have you tested the water? I know a heck of a lot less than the majority of the people on this board but do you have another quarantine tank you could move them too until the water gets sorted?

How large of a water change did you do? When was the last time you did a wc? That is strange for sure, but I am thinking something toxic for them might have been in the water source you used for new water. Have they changed anything they put in your water at the water plant? Or maybe there is something toxic in your pipes. Try using water from a different source in your house (from a different tap). Something similar has happened with a client of mine. The tank is spotless, we use ammo chips and carbon in the filters to prevent things, and the tank was understocked. Yet all parameters read fine, but all the fish seemed to keep dying off with no symptoms of disease. I was told to start using water from a different source because it could just be the water from that particular tap might have something bad in it for the fish. Sorry to hear about your losses. If you lived closer I would give you some of my yellow labs for free.

For fish to die that swiftly it would definitely be from some sort of toxin, which could have originated from anything that entered your tank, including your hands/arms, or equipment.

Are you located within the Edmonton city limits? If so, I doubt that it has anything to do with the water itself, and most likely is also not associated with your pipes and/or taps.

Okay well the sick fish is now dead and the rest seem to be doing okay. It's been an hour and they haven't shown any signs of dieing so i'm crossing my fingers and hoping that the double dose of prime i added took care of whatever it might have been. It was the smallest of the fish that died so i'm hoping the rest should be fine. I had done a 25% water change so i'll remove some of the water as soon as my filtered water warms up to room temp. I think it might be something in the water because my Jewels don't seem to like the water from the tap and after doing a filter water WC they liooked allot better. It's just very hard to get the water warmed up enough to add to the tank.

:well: Does anyone in edmonton know if there is something new in the water that could be causing this problem.

Thanks

Lisa

Yup i did wash my hands and rinsed well too. I've done the same thing many times before and had no problems. I even used the same soap i always use.

It seems like i'm full of expert stumpers lately.

thanks

lisa

The time I had something similar happen, I had been distracted and rushing a bit. Much later the conclusion I came to was, I thought I had put in the Prime and hadn't. I had another tank handy and scooped them out when they started to roll and they recovered quickly. I got lucky.

I've read a few threads, here and there, about unexplained deaths which turned out to be poison from household cleaners/sprays! One story particularly horrific... the poor guy came home to find all his monster fish dead. Thousands of dollars and heartache attributed to.. Fabreeze!!!

I would tend to think that in your case, if it is indeed the case, the dose would have had been minute for only the smallest fish to die. Just an idea.. Perhaps something was sprayed/splashed/used around the vacinity of the tank or syphon?

Sorry for your loss :(

Edited by PiscesGirl

I did a 75% on Saturday...6 dead... I have no clue.. Red Jewels I got from you seem to be living through the catastrophes of the tank though!

Edited by Mmamnstr

Cricket has a good point. Test your tap water.

When it rains, or when snow melts, they DO add more chloramine. The extra dirt, sand and salt that they've thrown on the roads recently DOES affect our tap water. It all runs off and gets collected at various points in Edmonton for water treatment. When there is extra "junk" in the water because of melting or rain, they add extra chemicals to deal with it. They have to stick to within safe levels for people, but fish tolerances are different.

I can't find the source right now, but I read an article on it recently (within a year).

The ONLY other thing I can think of would be if you have sand as a substrate, and you hadn't stirred it recently, maybe a major gas release?

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom