unknown african cichlid

Ted

Please help id these fish. Sold to us as P. saulosi but as we gained experience, obviously not. Quite aggressive with other striped cichlids (to the true P. saulosi males put in with them) but not with themselves, females similar colouring to the males but lighter, when not stressed their stripes are quite dark, fry are blue and striped, do not breed or show interest in the P. saulosi females (thank goodness), very lively in the tank, lots of interaction with humans (begging for food, not hiding).

Thanks

Theresa

IMG_1109.bmp

Edited by Ted

Maybe try posting a pic using Photobucket.com - just copy and past the IMG tag here.

I'm guessing it could be Ps. elongatus, or kenyi.

That would work (photobucket) also

If the pic is too large (>9.67 mb) it won't upload. once it is uploaded click by Manage current attachments and place the pic in the add.

john

Edited by geleen

If you simply re-size the picture you can also try the upload again...

To do that...

- Open the folder that the file is located.

- right click on the file name and click, "open with" and choose "Paint"

- click on "Resize/Skew"

- adjust "Horizontal" & "Vertical" to about 50% and if it's still too big, adjust by another 50%

- Save as a different name, ie. pic001 adj (so that you still have the original)

- Then attempt another upload.

But, I prefer using Photobucket.com :)

Um, I am not sure I agree with Pseudotropheus demasoni......but I can't really put my finger on it.

I have some of these guys right now, but they are more on the 'mutt' side of blue cichlids than yours seem, but I have also owned a Pseudotropheus demasoni and there is a big difference. Now maybe mine are just a cross breed, but I think that these guys are closer to a darkly coloured cobalt blue or a kenyi. I think the behaviour and temperament is a big part of it, although every fish and tank is different.

In short, I probably don't know what I am talking about, but those blue ones can be so mixed that they can never really be named sometimes.

Does anyone agree? I am sure that was not helpful of me.

I still think it's a crossbreed. Do you have a pic of the BIG guy too??

I've check lots and lots of pics...and i'm fairly confident it's not Demasoni, of course as always I could be wrong on that...

But these Mbuna's will breed with any other Mbuna just to breed. As for Elongatus...well it's likely that one of the parents was Elongatus.

I still think it's a crossbreed. Do you have a pic of the BIG guy too??

I've check lots and lots of pics...and i'm fairly confident it's not Demasoni, of course as always I could be wrong on that...

But these Mbuna's will breed with any other Mbuna just to breed. As for Elongatus...well it's likely that one of the parents was Elongatus.

Will try to get some more pictures. The majority of the fish are the same as the 2 smaller ones I took the first shot of and so are the fry. The bigger one is quite a bit larger and his colour is not as bright as the youngsters. Same story, bought as a saulosi but isn't. If the younger ones mature into something like the "big guy" I'm also leaning towards the P. elongatus variety. I just followed Ishkabod's link to a part of the cichlid forum I've never been to before (and lord knows I've hunted all up and down the profiles) and there is our big guy!

Ooh, the frustration, having a tank full of lively 1 1/2" juvies/fry that I don't want to misrepresent to people but I sincerely need the room and also don't want them to be used as feeders. They are really pretty and personable fish. It's funny though, after being back in the hobby and doing lots of research, and then going to the lfs I see a few I think are mislabeled. Even with a fish store, unless you are buying from someone you trust, you take a chance.

Theresa

Edited by Ted