full moon and breeding

fishclubgirl

So my bf and I were chatting about fish breeding and full moons. As there has been one, I had hoped my bettas would breed. No luck but got up this morning to an applesnail clutch. Anybody else have any experience with this?? Do fish seem to breed easier during a full moon??

Bettas seem to like to breed when the pressure's dropping. I was even going to buy a barometer,lol. Just was wondering if anybody else has experience with this??

Bettas seem to like to breed when the pressure's dropping. I was even going to buy a barometer,lol. Just was wondering if anybody else has experience with this??

I don't know about bettas, but Hoplias malabaricus, a large predatory fish from S.A., certainly gets very agitated during the full moon. This condition arises only during the full moon, when the species becomes very agitated the night of the full moon, to the point that they are very aggressive and prowl the depths looking for other aquatic creatures to bite. They have also been recorded underwater making what can best be described as a "howling" noise. Certainly unique behaviour, but expected, especially since the common name for the Holpias is ..... ?

Edited by syno321

I don't know about bettas, but Hoplias malabaricus, a large predatory fish from S.A., certainly gets very agitated during the full moon. This condition arises only during the full moon, when the species becomes very agitated the night of the full moon, to the point that they are very aggressive and prowl the depths looking for other aquatic creatures to bite. They have also been recorded underwater making what can best be described as a "howling" noise. Certainly unique behaviour, but expected, especially since the common name for the Holpias is ..... ?

Common name - Wolf?

I too have noticed over the years that my fish seem to breed more often with changes in the barometric pressure. Never thought to check to see if there was a full moon though.

PS I heard when the hoplias are on the prowl only SILVER dollars and SILVER arowanas are safe.

Well we know for a fact that it affects us but it'd be really interesting if it might actually affect aggression and breeding in other types of fish. Hmmm experiments anyone???

L

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So monday was the full moon and I was thinking about this... So I've spent the last 2 days picking out molly, limia,swordtail and girardinus fry. After checking my snail tanks and finding a clutch of apple snail eggs and asolene spixi eggs, I'm still curious. One of my breeding betta males is biulding quite a lovely nest too. So in conclusion, I think there's nothing to this theory :smokey: