Flowerhorns and Botox

Evolution

I just heard from a good source that the crainial hump on the flowerhorn is exagerated by botox injections. Appearently it's a crossbred, botox injected, over priced piece of...

If this is true...

I just don't know what to say...

I don't think myself and my family would be safe!

Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flower horns, and their 'poor cousins', parrot fish, are abominations and their support in the hobby should not be continued. Unfortunately people buy them, so the unscrupulous will continue to 'create' them in their Dr. Frankenstein labs tanks/ponds.

just one mans opinion though.

I dont think its beyond possible that people have tried injections, and other gross mutalations of fish or animals in general such as cutting the tales off blood parrots to mak them heart shaped.

However, in general, the head is natural and grows without hormone injections, ive seen it myself, and the big head is not limited to only flowerhorns , several cichlids get these big head humps and through selective breeding some get very very large, however you can find pics of for example Midas cichlids or vieja's with similar big head humps or as they are known in the hobby ..."koks"

In Thailand, they feed them "SPECIAL" Flowerhorn food, high in protein to make them grow fat and fast and hopefully increasing the hump on their heads. My dad was visiting some family there when he saw them, became obsessed with them, bought a few for a huge amount of money, brought them back here much to my dismay. The bigger the hump, the better the fish...yada yada yada. I don't subscribe to that mentality, but sooo many do.

In Thailand, they feed them "SPECIAL" Flowerhorn food, high in protein to make them grow fat and fast and hopefully increasing the hump on their heads. My dad was visiting some family there when he saw them, became obsessed with them, bought a few for a huge amount of money, brought them back here much to my dismay. The bigger the hump, the better the fish...yada yada yada. I don't subscribe to that mentality, but sooo many do.

Why is it that men are always fixated on having the biggest "kok"

Why is it that men are always fixated on having the biggest "kok"

Cause that's all that matters, right?

"it's not the size of the betta in the fight that counts, it's the size of the fight in the betta!!" I'm talking about fish fighting, what did you think I was talking about??? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's not about size, it's about power.

Phalics are symbols of power.

Ferrari is a symbol of power.

For example, there is no greater power at the hand of man than the power of the word.

To further that, it is not the size of your pencil that matters, but how you write your name!wahey.gif

Flower horns, and their 'poor cousins', parrot fish, are abominations and their support in the hobby should not be continued. Unfortunately people buy them, so the unscrupulous will continue to 'create' them in their Dr. Frankenstein labs tanks/ponds.

I suppose the same thing could be said about all of the various designer angelfish, discus, albino african cichlids, guppies, fancy goldfish, etc-etc-etc. Fancy strains of fish, and the desire to create new ones have been the foundation of the fish keeping hobby since its inception.

IMO the focus should be on education, and responsibility, no matter what type of fish one keeps.

I have yet to see anyone selling FH and attempting to pass them off for anything more than exactly what they are, a hybrid fancy strain of fish. Personally I don't see any difference between most FH strains, compared to the common Red Devil, or Midas cichlid. The vast majority of A. labiatus and A. citrinellus currently found in the hobby are hybrid crosses between the two species, yet short of a DNA anaysis most hobbyists would never be the wiser. I'm guessing that no one on this forum could tell me with 100% certainty what the 5 fish shown below are.

midpetsmart.jpg

amp1.jpg

amp3.jpg

amp2.jpg

amp.jpg

The kok, pronounced "coke" (hopefully that didn't burst any bubbles) is simply a term used to describe the nuchal hump, which comes from the various species of CA cichlids that have been used to create all of the various FH strains. It is no more unnatural, than the nuchal hump seen in any number of the CA, SA, or African cichlid species, and no FH breeder in their right mind would subject their fish to botox injections. (not at the price some of these fish sell for)

Genetics dictate the size of a FH's nuchal hump, with diet, water quality, age, etc playing a lesser role. (the same as in all male cichlids that have nuchal humps)

There are two types of koks, hard koks, which are comprised of tissue & fat, and water koks, which are mostly made up of fluid, and appear slightly transparent. The kok shown below would be a hard kok.

hump1.jpg

Edited by RD.