Does anyone else name their fish?

My fish used to all have names, others have just been passed on...Red Empress male is Otis, his females are both called Milo, RIP all the original name sakes which came with them when my brother gave them to me. Mpanga male is Bubba and his girl is Babs. The M. Esthrea are Cumquat and Tangarine, the Multi's are all called Speedy. The rest of the fish don't have names cause well, my brother started it, and I didn't keep it up!!

Fun topic BTW

Jodaye

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pike cichlid named Lightning

Just name my specials not my platies, guppies or endlers, my gold veil ram is Itzacoatl, my deceased german blue ram was Itzapotl, Aphisto Bitinadea is Lil Bit, Aphisto Pandura is Pooka, my 3 albino corys are the only ones named out of my corys and theirs are Boo, Spook and AGGGGHHHH, pineapple swordtail named Flex, a clown pleco named Mime, betta's Royal and a recently acquired powder blue gourami that is Fu Man Chu

Some of mine do. So no, not the only ones out there. The ones that makes themselves stick out do, the others get a general calling of "Dude", "Girlfriend" or in extreme cases "B***h" or A**hat". Currently we have a Goldfish (M) > Buffy, Betta > Huey, Albino Blue Spotted Platy > Dick, Gold Balloon Ram > Button, Blackskirted Tetra (M) > Widow, 2 Aphistogramma Borelli (M/F) > Boss & Babe, Orange Blossom Swordtail > Mustache, Common Pleco > Bugsy (Siegel) (All our Plecos get gangster names for some reason > Big Al (Capone), (John) Dillinger), Red LF Glolight Danio > Pinky, Phillipine Blue > Angel, 2 Juvenile Wild Altium/Marbled Mixed WIFI (M&F) > Missile & Shadow, Blue mix Veil tailed male Angel > Wraith, 6 Amano Shrimp > Hexadecimals (All of them are called by that since we can't really tell them apart but they are constantly have shifting displays of emotion, just like that character on Reboot.) and 2 (True) Siamese Algae Eaters > Thing 1 &Thing 2 (LOL we had never seen these before and couldn't figure out what they were until we got help so...)

My Australian lungfish is "the toad" and my red tail cat is "woof". I have way too many to name other than that except for the frontosas and clowns that splash me regularly when I feed them and their special names I can't repeat here.

My daughter names evey orange fish I get Nemo. I also have a Clown Pleco I named Pickcles and my African Dwarf Frog is named Tybalt (from Shakespeare). I also had a female Dalmation Molly that my husband named The Sea Cow lol

Oh no your not weird or crazy......many of my fish have names

Cichlids:

Jack/Cruzer - EBJD

Dora - Male Convict that we thought was a female at first

Star light - Female convict

Sun Shine - Female Convict

Momma - Female Convict

Sun Light - Female Convict

Star Burst - Female Convict

Rango - African Pindani

Mrs. Rango - Female Pindani

Bernie - Yellow Tail Acei (I always spell it wrong)

Freckles - Orange Blotch Zebra

Scocker - Yellow Lab

Walley - Common Pleco

Dojo - Weather Loach (Dojo Loach)

Curtis - Kulih Loach

Salt N Pepper - Corey Cats

Scrunch - Corey Cat

Tink, Twitch, Tank - Glowlight Tetra

guppies, snails, and shrimp are unnamed......

I name all my fish, and usually I named them based on their characters . It's hard to believe..but that's how I named them LOL

but.. I always feel a bit embarrased to tell friend the name of my fish ..I only shared to certain people whom I know won't think that I'm weird :D

so yeah..I guess some people will think we're weird...but who cares ;)

• 1 month later...

I believe I only have one fish in my tank actually named. The rest I haven't really cared about naming. I have a red wag named Sandy because she has black spots all over her face.

At our house we also only name "special" fish.

The first fish to ever be born in my tropical tank and survive to adulthood is a pineapple swordtail who was dubbed Phillip J. Fry after his survival seemed guaranteed.

A rubbernose pleco named Dr. Jones, our patriarch guppy father - Ol' Boy and his gigantic successor Sonny. Also a 6" common pleco named Sharka.

Used to have an electric blue crayfish named peeps and various koi who were all named.

• 3 months later...