Has Anyone Moved A 6 Foot Tank Downstairs.

PistolPete

I would love to move the 180 to the basement of my new house. It has a 180 degree turn to get to the bottom. The tank would have to stand on its end to make the trip down. I have the suction cups and the manpower. Is this safe? Has anyone done this? Is there anyone I can hire to do this?

We have the same issue. All my tanks are in the basement. suction cups are a great idea. You and one other person are able to move it down. have someone at the top as it tips back to guide it and one guy to pull the bottom so it starts to slide down just make sure it doesn't run away on you lol.. but it's not that bad once you map it out.

of course you dont give er... one person tilts back and the one in front pulls. It aint like a runaway freight train, just know what each person is supposed to do. Works everytime for me to get a tank downstairs thats standing at the top on one end. suction cups help but not necessary.

A dolly may or may not help. It'll definitely get the tank downstairs easily, but the wheels and handles often get in the way when trying to turn.

I've moved 6' tanks many times and have found that 2 guys (maybe another just to be sure on the bottom) is the way to go. Suction cups will definitely help.

So its not a big deal really? My best friend happens to be my former mlb in high school as well. Weighs a very lean 240. Workout junkie and I am putting him to the test on this task. SO just me and him? Him at the bottom me at the top of the stairs? I thought about the dolly but i also heard that they can put alot of pressure on the tank.

well maybe I will grow a pair and try the basement out. Thanks everyone.

Yes a walkout basement was on the list but they generally start above 400 000 grand. Maybe next time

we used a dolly for our 180/110/140 with no problem. it was so much easier and less back straining. plus you can just dolly it were ever you are going to set it up. i vote for dolly

Amy

A dolly is great for moving it around. But, going downstairs w a 90 degree turn, I have found they get in the way.

Justin with just 2 of you moving the tank be prepared for a real workout depending on how far you have to lug it before you even get to the stairs. I'm guessing the tank weighs about 200-240 lbs. and that is a lot of dead weight so you will find it much easier to have 4 people with 4 suction cups to move it or use the dolly. Slide the tank down the stairs with a heavy blanket under it - don't attempt to lift it down or the person on the back end will find it very difficult and back breaking to say the least. This is the stage where you are most vulnerable to accidents - dropping the tank while coming down the stairs. If you slide it there will be no chance of a sudden dropping.

I've never tried the dolly method but have moved plenty of tanks downstairs with and without the suction cups and no mishaps yet - knock on wood. Suction cups are definitely the way to go if you are man handling the move but make sure they are the commercial or heavy duty ones that you pump not the little guys for doing things like windshield replacements. Even with the bigger ones you have to wipe the surface of the glass clean where they attach or you have the chance they can slip off.

Best of luck with the move.

Slide it down on its end? I cant slide it down on the long side. Im not a big fan of letting the tank support itself in the wrong position. I think i will make my choice when i have it empty and see how much it weighs. Im not worried about the simple moving part, its the stairs i fear and the complete turnaround it takes to get to the bottom. Me and my 2 buddies lifted the 180 out of the truck very easily and up onto the stand. That part is nearly as scary