Doing Some Work In The Fish Room

jeremoose

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Those Vals really grew fast! It's looking really good :)

The tops of my Vals are browning just like that too, any idea why they're doing that? Is it just from being so close to the light?

Wow! Those Vals really grew fast! It's looking really good :)

The tops of my Vals are browning just like that too, any idea why they're doing that? Is it just from being so close to the light?

Thanks very much! And yeah I think that it is probably something to do with that intense light just inches away, but I really have no idea.

Well hopefully we'll both figure out how to fix that problem some day. It's a bit disheartening to see the tank flourish, except for that little bit on the Vals.

• 3 months later...

The 30g planted tank is no more, I wish I'd have thought to take a picture of it before I dismantled it.. The Vals had absolutely taken over, you couldn't see ANYTHING in that tank - I loved it.

Anyways, this is the next home for my the remaining fish from the 30g, it's a 36x18x24" 70 gallon. We used only a fraction of the plants in this tank that we had in the 30g.

70go.jpg

What direction are you taking this tank? Are you doing heavy planted again or just going to stay simple with the design?

I'd like to get some more manzanita and tangle up the bottom like that piece you see in the corner. Then having the vals growing up through it, maybe getting some swords as well.

• 3 months later...

So I never did end up getting more manzanita to tangle the bottom of the tank up but here is the tank as it sits today:

yarg.jpg

I'm not really sure why the sword or anubias haven't taken off, thoughts?

Edited by jeremoose

Not sure about the anubias but in my experience the swords have a rather large root system and your substrate looks a bit shallow. Maybe a couple more inches of sand or fine gravel?

I'll have to try that, substrate is sitting at about 2 inches at the moment. Thanks for the info!

Do you know what kind of sword that is? It looks like E. tennelus, which doesn't get big; but it should be spreading. You may benefit from a finer substrate.

• 5 weeks later...

Bit of an update here.

Decided to upgrade our resident Beta to a 10g and include some shrimp buddies for him to "play" with. We decided to go planted on it and have ordered T5HO lighting as well as acquired a co2 setup (soon to have it from a friend). Been cycling for awhile now and have introduced the shrimp (compliments Jvision, thanks for the great deal on the shrimp as well as the unknown moss) as well as the haul of plants my wife and I picked up today.

The substrate is Fluval Stratum and the flora are as follows: Cabomba, Java Fern, Wysteria, Bacopa, Java Moss, Pygmy Chain Swords, and some unknown moss.

The fauna: Cherry Shrimp and a Beta (just your standard 3.99 special from my LFS).

fullshot.jpg

shrimpn.jpg

shrimp2.jpg

Forgive the grainy pics (still pretty good for a phone I think) as well as the bubbles all over the glass. There was a mind-boggling amount of air-pockets in the Stratum.

Thanks for looking and I'll provide updates as soon as my light fixture arrives.

Threw a black background on as well as an additional light (from the side) until my t5 setup comes in:

57329676.jpg

First feeding:

51380968.jpg

25868723.jpg

95505230.jpg

51915006.jpg

50273555.jpg

The tank seems to be stable and everyone is happy currently. Hopefully the Beta doesn't shake things up TOO much when he's added in.

Thanks for looking.