20G Long Iwagumi (Iwagumi Inspired Anyways..)

jeremoose

If you're going to have a valve at each split, then I don't think a loop is necessary; but, if you are splitting after your needle valve (assuming its right after the reg & bubble counter), you will still probably want a loop so you're not constantly needing to adjust.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Tiger Shrimp have been in there a few days and I've lost maybe 5 of them. I'm hoping that it's just the weaker ones dying off as they adjust to my water. All the levels are good, PH is sitting right at 6.5. Hopefully I don't lose any more here.

Alright so my paintball co2 tank only lasted for a week at 2bpm 8 hours a day.. So I picked up a 20 pound tank today.

co22x.jpg

co21s.jpg

Also, I'm seeing LOTS of sprouts but it's almost impossible to focus on them for a picture. I'm thinking next week at this time I'll have a good update for this tank.

Thanks for the bit on Ferts and shrimp. About the florish substrate you can forget about gravel vaccuming. In my fluval edge that same stuff has degraded and any disturbing of the substrate sends up huge clouds of fine black sediment that takes forever to clear up. If i had the ability to go back in time there would be no way on earth that i would use it again. Personally if you want the softer water you need to remember CO 2 does affect ph by lowering it.

In doing my reading and questioning before seting up my Edge planted tank i remember hearing that one of the biggest reasons for persistant problem algae is lack of water flow. I strongly reccomend the powerhead sponge filters as they serve a dual purpose. If you want air at night put a airsone in on a timer you could even have some fun with underwater hidden led lighted bubble curtains for a nighttime change of pace a smal whie one on the bottom behind a pile of rocks in the middle to backligt the rocks oohhh i am getting excited just picturing it in my head. The lights are about as bright as moonlight so not very but the effect could be stunning.

Good luck

L

Thanks for the bit on Ferts and shrimp. About the florish substrate you can forget about gravel vaccuming. In my fluval edge that same stuff has degraded and any disturbing of the substrate sends up huge clouds of fine black sediment that takes forever to clear up. If i had the ability to go back in time there would be no way on earth that i would use it again. Personally if you want the softer water you need to remember CO 2 does affect ph by lowering it.

In doing my reading and questioning before seting up my Edge planted tank i remember hearing that one of the biggest reasons for persistant problem algae is lack of water flow. I strongly reccomend the powerhead sponge filters as they serve a dual purpose. If you want air at night put a airsone in on a timer you could even have some fun with underwater hidden led lighted bubble curtains for a nighttime change of pace a smal whie one on the bottom behind a pile of rocks in the middle to backligt the rocks oohhh i am getting excited just picturing it in my head. The lights are about as bright as moonlight so not very but the effect could be stunning.

Good luck

L

I'd actually considered a hidden LED bubblewall hidden in the back but after discussing it with my wife we decided against it for puritan iwagumi purposes. I might do it in my 30g planted however since the current lighting doesn't include a moonlight of any kind.

But there IS some good news on this tank: no algae at ALL yet, maybe I'm going to get lucky with it or maybe it just hasn't had a chance to take hold yet.. Time will tell.

Edited by jeremoose

Here is when the planting first occurred on February 24th (ish). Notice how thin and tiny the bunches were when I planted them, they were about 3/8 of an inch across. Now they're easily an inch across or a little more.

day1v.jpg

Today. Forgive me for the low water levels!

88389694.jpg

You can really see how far the sprouts are starting to come up in that last picture. This is more or less the one month update on this tank and I have to think that in another month I will have a fairly full carpet except for around the edges.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by jeremoose