Frustrating Situations...

Wingin' It

I just gotta get this off my chest...it's been driving me crazy most of the day!

I had a run in with the local Humane Society today. I've been feeding and watering my dad's pigeons for the last few weeks. So every day I feed these birds, who live outside 24 hrs. Apparently there were 168 of the dang things (I refer to them as rats with wings). But everyone's gotta have a hobby and my dad's is these birds.

So anyways...the HS decides that these birds aren't being cared for properly b/c their water froze over night and that there were too many. Whatever, they're not mine. Do what you gotta do. They then accuse me of not feeding or watering the birds for extended periods of time! Apparently i'm supposed to feed and water them 5 times a day...ummm...ya, no.

The supervising guy even admitted to me that the birds all appeared very healthy! So if they weren't being fed or watered, why do they look so healthy?! Oh and by the way, apparently they were abandoned!

And then, of course, we got into the discussion about Koi ponds where the owners allow the fish to winter in the pond...Yes, it's true. If the SPCA finds out you have koi in a pond over the winter, they will seize them. WOW.

Just so frustrating is all...at this very moment, they're not in my good books.

End Rant. :)

I had pigeons when I was a kid. I climbed under a bridge and snatched a dozen or so. My neighbours incessantly called the Humane Society. Every time it turned out to be caused by a call from a neighbour who didn't have a clue about how to keep a pigeon. Everyone has an opinion. Even people who are wrong, or even better, morons.

It just takes an annoying neighbour to file a complaint and then you're stuck dealing with it. I'm a petsitter and had this happen when I was watching a clients cats. They had been fighting with their neighbours about their dogs barking. So when the clients left, they had the dogs kenneled so I wouldn't have to deal with the neighbours, the neighbours called the SPCA and claimed they left the cats home alone while they went on vacation. I was checking the house 2x/day and came to find a notice taped to the door claiming the animal control officers looked through the windows and saw abandoned cats, WTF. No one was home at the time they came but they weren't abandoned!

I think I remember Henry dealing with this at the old store with the pond in front of the house. They wanted to confiscate his fish that were already winterized. Can't remember how that turned out though

Animal control can be frustrating when they screw with people actually taking care of their pets but fail to do anything in serious situations.

Soooo.... do they wait til the pond thaws in spring/early summer to seize your winterized fish? :rolleyes:

Apparently they would dig them out immediately! And then they don't care if the fish die, because the Keeper is keeping them in deplorable conditions! Go figure!

I know they do some very good work but WOW they do have some strange rules.They had me scratching my head a few times. :grr:

Yes, I agree...sometimes they are warranted in many situation...but I think they think they're experts in all things animal...which is obviously a load of you know what!

I had pigeons when I was a kid. I climbed under a bridge and snatched a dozen or so. My neighbours incessantly called the Humane Society. Every time it turned out to be caused by a call from a neighbour who didn't have a clue about how to keep a pigeon. Everyone has an opinion. Even people who are wrong, or even better, morons.

Wow...That is just not cool. Everyone does have an opinon..and thank goodness we live in Canada, however...those who proceed without ALL the knowledge...shame on them. I was supposed to have been given 24 hours to "correct" the situation...but they jumped the gun and decided to seize just prior to me coming for my daily maintenance on the birds. GRRRRRRRR. Morons is right!

like the old saying, opinions & assholes r alike, everybody has one

Imagine if nobody had any opinions...and uuugghh...butt holes?? LMAO

It just takes an annoying neighbour to file a complaint and then you're stuck dealing with it. I'm a petsitter and had this happen when I was watching a clients cats. They had been fighting with their neighbours about their dogs barking. So when the clients left, they had the dogs kenneled so I wouldn't have to deal with the neighbours, the neighbours called the SPCA and claimed they left the cats home alone while they went on vacation. I was checking the house 2x/day and came to find a notice taped to the door claiming the animal control officers looked through the windows and saw abandoned cats, WTF. No one was home at the time they came but they weren't abandoned!

I think I remember Henry dealing with this at the old store with the pond in front of the house. They wanted to confiscate his fish that were already winterized. Can't remember how that turned out though

Animal control can be frustrating when they screw with people actually taking care of their pets but fail to do anything in serious situations.

They are seriously just out to fill a quota or something...I know they think they're doing what's "right", but sometimes....It took everything in me to not flip out on them...Oh, and if I want to get the birds back, I have to pay, or rather my dad has to pay $15/bird per day...and they'll keep the birds for 10 days, at which point the total cost for all the birds would be like $25,000!!! If the birds go unclaimed after that, they decide if they're going to destroy them all!

Don't even get me started about the inhumane society

Hahahaha...I hear ya!

They are seriously just out to fill a quota or something...I know they think they're doing what's "right", but sometimes....It took everything in me to not flip out on them...Oh, and if I want to get the birds back, I have to pay, or rather my dad has to pay $15/bird per day...and they'll keep the birds for 10 days, at which point the total cost for all the birds would be like $25,000!!! If the birds go unclaimed after that, they decide if they're going to destroy them all!

He's allowed to have 75 pigeons if he has a license. So why aren't they just giving him back at least 75 of them? What are they holding them for 10 days for?

In the city of Calgary, as long as you're a member of a pigeon club, you can have as many as you want...according to the ByLaw officer...who had already come by in the summer due to a neighbour complaint.

I think the 10 days is the timeline they give the owner to claim the animal(s) back...if they so choose...well, for $25,000 they can keep the darn things.

City Of Calgary Bylaw states:

LIVESTOCK

27. No person shall keep Livestock in any area of the City except where the keeping of Livestock is allowed under The City of Calgary Land Use Bylaw.

27.1 Any person who keeps pigeons, is a member in good standing of either the Canadian Racing Pigeon Club or the Canadian Pigeon Fanciers Association, and whose birds are banded with a seamless Club or Association band on their leg is exempt from Section 27.

Edited by Wingin' It

In the city of Calgary, as long as you're a member of a pigeon club, you can have as many as you want...according to the ByLaw officer...who had already come by in the summer due to a neighbour complaint.

I think the 10 days is the timeline they give the owner to claim the animal(s) back...if they so choose...well, for $25,000 they can keep the darn things.

City Of Calgary Bylaw states:

LIVESTOCK

27. No person shall keep Livestock in any area of the City except where the keeping of Livestock is allowed under The City of Calgary Land Use Bylaw.

27.1 Any person who keeps pigeons, is a member in good standing of either the Canadian Racing Pigeon Club or the Canadian Pigeon Fanciers Association, and whose birds are banded with a seamless Club or Association band on their leg is exempt from Section 27.

Ahh, here in Edmonton you can have up to 75 and need a license. Yet they don't allow people to have chickens. I think a couple chickens would make less noise and be better then 75+ pigeons.

I hope your dad can get his birds back without having to pay ridiculous amounts

I think people have issues with roosters...and the noises they make...though I could be wrong. In Calgary, it's also illegal to possess even a single chicken...yet the pigeons are ok. I always thought that was wierd.

thanks, but unfortunately the pigeons fates are sealed...as so far the inHumane Society (hahahaha...thanks Jorg) won't budge and will more than likely be destroying them all.

Oh the humane society. I really do wonder how their decision making process works (and who trains them). Arguing with them about how to properly keep reptiles is fun. A uromastyx is not the same as a dog, it can't have a water dish 24/7 because they retain water like you wouldn't believe. If they decide to go on an H2O binge they can kill themselves.

Sadly a lot of systems put in place to "protect" animals often ends up destroying. Happens a lot in research (with is a whole other ethical can of worms), the group that oversees and regulates research ethics involving animals in research technically stimpulates that animals involve have to be put down at the end of the experiment. Doesn't always end up going down that way. I know of at least one instance where the animal techs threatened to quit if it happen and they ended up re-homing the animals :D

Yet, when I missed a shipment of fish when I was on vacation in the US, they would not go and pick them up at the post office. So the fish would be returned to the seller who was on holiday. Yup, that's humane, leaving fish in a box to die... Wingin It, I feel for you!!!

Edited by fishclubgirl