Finnex Led Lights Dealer Now In Canada

runningwild

I don't listen to 'plant forum' websites to make a decision. Led's still are not there yet, period. Maybe in another 2-3 years perhaps as it is getting closer.

So are you saying the lighting par values for the Ray 11 touted and graphed by finnex are a lie?

Just wondering... not trying to get into an argument here but would like to know why you are saying they are not yet there, when I see differently on the different sites!

Would like some clarification from others that have tried the Ray2 / I did order 1 and will be trying it on a tank in short order..

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went total led. Love it! No more fans! Nice and quiet, can grow anything (so far) that I can get my hands on. Oh and I also hear that they are cheaper to run, just a bonus in my opinion. I switched because of noise and heat, not for some bandwagon. Led lights are here now, yes expensive because they new, but they work great. Just have to do a little homework, no different than a cool white bulb vs a 6700k.

I don't listen to 'plant forum' websites to make a decision. Led's still are not there yet, period. Maybe in another 2-3 years perhaps as it is getting closer.

So are you saying the lighting par values for the Ray 11 touted and graphed by finnex are a lie?

Just wondering... not trying to get into an argument here but would like to know why you are saying they are not yet there, when I see differently on the different sites!

Would like some clarification from others that have tried the Ray2 / I did order 1 and will be trying it on a tank in short order..

Jerry, on shallow tanks, the FugeRay grew pretty much anything I wanted. The RayII grew Glosso like the weed it's supposed to be in a 90gal tank. I now run them over my aquponics veggies and the plants grow like mad!

Thanks for the info... I am going to use ( Finnex 2 and co2) in a planted tank that I am setting up / 72G ... put in a 2" soil substrate that is topped off with 1" fluorite and a fine gravel.

I've done my work here. When there is no ying to yang life just isn't the same!

LOL Understood

Well, here is why I hopped on the bandwagon. I was running a total of 4 4 foot 2 lamp t5ho lamps and 5 36 inch 2 lamp t5ho 3 footers.

822 watts x10 hrs a day=8220 watts÷1000= 8.22 Kwh per day x 365 days x $.09/Kwh= $270 a year. Lamp replacements alone if done anually (which is half as often as suggested) at $25 per bulb is $450 a year. So it costs me approximately $720 a year.

It'll take me 2 years to get my investment back. I also have the ability to do sunrise, sunset, mid day sun, low light for pleco tanks and whatever else blows my hair back.

So I wouldn't call it jumping on the bandwagon, more like not missing the boat. Makes me think about my dad actually, still listening to records waiting for something with the same warmth of sound to finally make the change to. ;-)

Edited by Jayba

Well, here is why I hopped on the bandwagon. I was running a total of 4 4 foot 2 lamp t5ho lamps and 5 36 inch 2 lamp t5ho 3 footers.

822 watts x10 hrs a day=8220 watts÷1000= 8.22 Kwh per day x 365 days x $.09/Kwh= $270 a year. Lamp replacements alone if done anually (which is half as often as suggested) at $25 per bulb is $450 a year. So it costs me approximately $720 a year.

It'll take me 2 years to get my investment back. I also have the ability to do sunrise, sunset, mid day sun, low light for pleco tanks and whatever else blows my hair back.

So I wouldn't call it jumping on the bandwagon, more like not missing the boat. Makes me think about my dad actually, still listening to records waiting for something with the same warmth of sound to finally make the change to. ;-)

This is exactly right. I'm not a planted guru by any means but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend LEDs to anyone. Even reefers. The technology is already at a point where the performance is = if not greater than most other traditional lighting methods, and is only going to get better, while being MUCH more efficient and far less hassle. The old lights of course are tried and true, but I don't miss seeing my power bill being 4 times higher, replacing the bulbs, or the heat they gave off!

I jumped to LEDs right away (probably too soon) mostly for the cost savings; and they didn't look very good, and certainly couldn't grow plants with the LEDs I started with (those cheapo Beamworks fixtures that were like 18W per 4'). I then built my own LED fixture for interest's sake, and to get dimming, sunrise, sunset, etc. 2 years ago. There was nothing on the market that could do this at that time for under $1000 on a large tank like mine. I also have a 7k Finnex Ray II on my 90g planted tank and it works wonderfully. It even looks nice, for those concerned about that. I also bought a couple of those LED floodlights on ebay to experiment with ($30 each for a 20W floodlight). They don't look bad at all and would certainly be great for accent lighting in a large tank, and could probably even be used as the main lighting as long as they are hung well above the tank to provide enough spread. They are VERY bright.

Just received my led light.

plug it in to check it out...

blinded myself to the point I'm still seeing black dots 10 min later. Needless to say it is bright. Cant wait to put on tank on weekend. Might need to adjust co2 inputs.

My estimate is light is 3-4x brighter than my light on it now.

Thinking about and actually buying new light was a great decision so far. Very impressed with light output.

only downside i see is the "moonlight" feature not on own power supply but wasn't a deal breaker.

Edited by zoopkamol

are people still able to order/view finnex.ca? I go there and it tries to redirect me to amazon or finnex.net.

No they are only available thru Amazon or directly from Finnex now. The sales prices on amazon.ca are actually quite a bit lower on some model than what finnex.ca used to sell them at, even when they (finnex.ca) had them for 20% off. For the last year or so they were undercutting finnex.ca prices by quite a wide margin so it probably wasn't a great position for finnex.ca to be in - it never is when your main competitor is also your main supplier.

I actually inquired about becoming a Finnex dealer and they replied that they are no longer selling to dealers in Canada due to the fact that they are not warranted for for International use (i.e. in Canada) - so i am guessing that their fixtures are not CSA approved and maybe they didn't want to go thru that process of getting it approved? Or maybe they just wanted to sell directly now.

Good question. The electronics regulation rules are similar in Canada as in the USA, so that seems hard to believe. But obviously there was something....

Does anyone know what LED was used inside of these?

Edited by Iceturf

They are on Amazon.com though. I placed an order for my nano tank. So far haven't had any problems and it says delivery sometime in the middle of November.

So if you read between the lines, there will be no vendors in Canada, but that doesn't mean we can't get them if we're patient.

I'll let you know if mine does arrive or if it gets refused.