I just bought these fish

safety4fire

Ok, so I went back to Big Als, I swore I wouldn't get sucked into paying the big bucks again, heard there was wild caught Cichlids there from someone on this forum. So I purchased the following, they are about 2.5" each.

Aulonocara. Maylandi “Sulfurhead Peacock”

Aulonocara. Stuartgranti “Bicolor500”

Pseudotropheus. “Red Top Ndumbi

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember, if you haven't researched, and you have only ever seen prices at Big Al's, you probably think that is what normal pricing is like.

Why do you think they stay in business?

My Fish are doing great, I wish there was a store like Golds in Edmonton, but there's not. I wish people would post pictures of fish they have for sale, including parent fish. Yes I paid too much again, but try and find someone with these fish for sale on this forum is harder they paying the big bucks at BA's :(

My Fish are doing great, I wish there was a store like Golds in Edmonton, but there's not. I wish people would post pictures of fish they have for sale, including parent fish. Yes I paid too much again, but try and find someone with these fish for sale on this forum is harder they paying the big bucks at BA's :(

Actually, people go back and forth from Edmonton to Calgary all the time. I'd just hitch on that train and it's all smooth sailing.

You can find people willing to bring back fish for you in the tavel section or even getting them shipped up from calgary for would be cheaper then paying full price for adults at big als.

Just to put it in perspective for you, I bought 14 african cichlids and 2 A/C 110 filters at Gold's for the price you paid for 3 fish. If I were you I wouldn't get all caught up in the hype about W/C fish . Many of them aren't as nice as tank or farm bred stock. Put it this way : if someone shows you 2 fish ,1 wild 1 tank raised,and 1 is really nice and one is not as nice. Which one do you pick if you don't know which is the wild and which is tank raised? Obviously the nicer fish is the one you pick.I'm not saying you should go out and buy a bunch of really pretty hybrids or anything like that. But a lot of tank raised fish are bred to be really nice or to carry the esthetically pleasing traits. If you are trying to start a breeding group its a different story because you want fish that are not likely to be brother and sister. Often times the easiest way to do this is to mix WC stock from different sources or to mix quality tank raised stock from different sources. Something you probably don't want to hear- I got 6 Ndumbi (pseudotropheus perspicax) from Golds 2 weeks ago for less than $50. If you post the fish you are looking for chances are someone on this site has them or knows where you can get them.