Tank Stand for a 253 Gallon

Trooper

These stands are designed to house 2 good size tanks.. The stands were designed and built by Harold and myself. Top is for a 253 and below will accomadate a 6' tank.

tank004fm9.jpg

And this is almost the finished product, minus the clearcoat!

tank005im8.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be worried about the top 1960 pounds of water bending the middle. Although it's well supported width-wise, there's nothing I see to stop the length from bowing downwards.

Then again, I'm not a stand builder.

It would be closer to 2400 lbs. I'm not worried about it at all. I've seen some pretty hokey stands.

Look at it like the structure of a garage. Looking at the front of it, you see a huge opening for a garage door. The weight of the roof is supported by the overall structure. Just because the 3 walls are complete, doesn't mean it is weak in the front.

Structure/Design.

I'll post some pics after it's set up.

It would be closer to 2400 lbs. I'm not worried about it at all. I've seen some pretty hokey stands.

Look at it like the structure of a garage. Looking at the front of it, you see a huge opening for a garage door. The weight of the roof is supported by the overall structure. Just because the 3 walls are complete, doesn't mean it is weak in the front.

Structure/Design.

I'll post some pics after it's set up.

Look at it with a flat roof the rafters are parallel to the door with a beam over the door.I would have fear of

bending.

While I'd be quite comfortable with the tank on the bottom being properly supported, I'm not so sure about the one on the top?

Having said that, here's how a LFS in the US sets up their 6 ft tanks, and the cinder blocks aren't even stacked properly for max strength. From what I could gather the tanks in this store have been supported in this manner for years.

cinder1.jpg

cinder2.jpg

Wow that's perdy brave.

How ever those tanks don't look that wide. They only look about 12" and 18" at the most.

Also how thick is the glass on those tanks? They might have been built with thicker than normal to support this type of setup.

A 250g is definatly alot more weight than those tanks, and a big risk to be taking if it fails.

Trooper

Kudos to you though.

It is a beautiful stand and a very cool design.

Please let us know if this works out for you.

You might have some orders coming in for other such stands. :thumbs:

Yeah, perdy brave indeed. Apparently they had tanks as long as 8ft supported in the same manner.

Seems whacked, but a number of people chimed in on that thread stating that they had seen entire fishrooms set up like that, some that had been running for 20+ years.

Then again, a 250 gallon tank is indeed a lot more weight ......

Also how thick is the glass on those tanks? They might have been built with thicker than normal to support this type of setup

Those look like the typical Hagen/Oceanic tank. Don't think there's anything special there.

To keep it from bending down the middle, you could double (or tripple) up the top sheet, or add a brace lengthwise underneath.

I'd be worried about the top 1960 pounds of water bending the middle. Although it's well supported width-wise, there's nothing I see to stop the length from bowing downwards.

Then again, I'm not a stand builder.

Exactly

If it bends and i would think it would, You would be looking at a tank break. :eh:

You think.

Wow that's perdy brave.

How ever those tanks don't look that wide. They only look about 12" and 18" at the most.

Also how thick is the glass on those tanks? They might have been built with thicker than normal to support this type of setup.

A 250g is definatly alot more weight than those tanks, and a big risk to be taking if it fails.

Trooper

Kudos to you though.

It is a beautiful stand and a very cool design.

Please let us know if this works out for you.

You might have some orders coming in for other such stands. :thumbs:

RD, thanks for those pics.. That saves an easy 1000 words.

I wasn't looking for anyones opinion on the structural integrity of these stands. I know what it takes to support this kind of weight. There are many guys on this forum who beleive if it's not made out of 2 x 4's or steal, it aint gonna be strong enough. I've seen enough of them around, they just won't be going in my livingroom!

Hey, glad to help Trooper. :)

While I'm a student of structural support overkill, I have no doubt that the stand for my 125 (made entirely from wood) could easily support two 125 gallon tanks, and then some. :lol:

If you look at the material used, and the designs of most of the major aquarium manufacturers (Hagen/All-Glass/Oceanic/Perfecto) their stands don't look like they could hold half the weight of most of their tanks, yet they do, and I can't say that I have ever heard of one of their stands failing when set up & maintained properly. I had my stand custom made for aesthetic reasons, not because I was overly concerned about a store bought stand failing.

• 4 weeks later...