Tank Stand for a 253 Gallon

Trooper

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't see how everyone thinks that the bottom of an Aquarium will bend, or for that matter that the stand will bend, because it is impossible for the bottom of a tank to bend! Impossible! That cabnet, if it is held together properly, will work like a charm.

Not to mention that it looks way awesome!

I am not sure of the dimensions of your tank, but say that it has a footprint of 72 X 30, that equals 2160 sq inches so would not the weight of the water on the bottom of the tank be just over 1 pound per sq inch? I am not an engineer so someone please correct me if I am wrong. Granted I am not considering the flex of the glass in the center.

I really don't see how everyone thinks that the bottom of an Aquarium will bend, or for that matter that the stand will bend, because it is impossible for the bottom of a tank to bend! Impossible! That cabnet, if it is held together properly, will work like a charm.

Not to mention that it looks way awesome!

Thanks Will. I have done my apprenticeship as a cabinet maker and work with engineers and designers for renos. Many people under estimate strength from design. I appreciate your thoughts.

PL400, Glued, Screwed, and 16 Gauge nails.

I am not sure of the dimensions of your tank, but say that it has a footprint of 72 X 30, that equals 2160 sq inches so would not the weight of the water on the bottom of the tank be just over 1 pound per sq inch? I am not an engineer so someone please correct me if I am wrong. Granted I am not considering the flex of the glass in the center.

Dimensions are 78 x 25 on the base. The glass is 1/2 inch thick. I'm not certain on the total weight of contents, but I would say 180 lbs of sand, 200 lbs of rocks and 250 gallons of water x 8.33 lbs equals a total of approx 2460 lbs.

So even if the tank is only supported by the 1/2" base of the circumference, 103 sq inch, that still only works out to 23.8 pounds per inch. Sounds like a safe bet to me that the depth of the plywood on the front of your stand should be fine.

On the other hand, this is the frame of the stand that I am building for my 55

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b332/rai...er69/Stand4.jpg

Edited by Rainmaker69

To me, i would be freaked of putting that kind of weight on it- look at my DIY stand and you will see how paraniod i am and how i built me stand to support a house ontop of it. That being said, i am no where near qualified as you are. I would love to see some rough plans and many structual pics just to illustrate that a stand doesnt need 4x4 bracing every few feet. I could use to learn something to keep the costs down on my next project. I say, looks awesome and more pics, more pics, more pics.

Neil

253tank004on3.th.jpg

253tankpics001bd1.jpg

I'll get some better shots after I get everything in order. The tank underneath will be added in a month or two. I might be able to squeeze a 100 gallon under there, but have filtration to consider. Are there many canisters that run efficiently on pretty much the same level as the tank?? Thoughts are appreciated.

Edited by Trooper

An idea for filtering the tank underneith could be to set it up like the old AquaGiant tanks. Divide off about 6" of one end, cut it so that water will flow in at the front. Then put a couple baffles in so that water passes through filtering media, then have a powerhead return the water to the main part of the tank.

Like a sump in the tank.

An idea for filtering the tank underneith could be to set it up like the old AquaGiant tanks. Divide off about 6" of one end, cut it so that water will flow in at the front. Then put a couple baffles in so that water passes through filtering media, then have a powerhead return the water to the main part of the tank.

Like a sump in the tank.

That sounds like the best option.... And this way I can get everypossible inch under there.

Thank ya!

Up to last year in Edmonton we had a place called the Fish Pond all there tanks had the back 4-6 in divided

with glass and the top 3in was 1/2 in plastic from lights.No filter just large rockes on the bottoom up to smaller ones on top. O maintence for 20 yrs that i know.Ask Jay.

I see a lot of concerns about the stand failing but in fact the sides of the tank work like bearing walls and hold everything rigid. What I see is that that stand is more than sufficient structuraly to hold that tank. if the stand were to sag the glass would have to sag first, ain't going to happen.

if the stand were to sag the glass would have to sag first, ain't going to happen.

Right. Instead of the glass sagging downwards, once the stand starts to move downwards, it will simply crack.

If you wanted, you could put a solid piece of steel 3" c-channel inside the stand, the width of the tank. Then have 2 steel channels on the ends acting as posts. I dont think it would break as it is. Glass wont act as a bearing wall Im afraid, though. Bottom would smash out 1st. Just thoughts from a dummy.