Do you have algae eaters?

vantgE

Do you have algae eaters?  

240 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've got none, only have one tank that really gets algaes(because it faces a window and gets sunlight and tanklight almost all day). I hear they poop alot :poo: . Don't seem too active. -but figure I'll have to try one someday in years to come

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, just one and her name is Harriet, she's a bristlenose. She's very well mannered with her tankmate and loves her zucchini :D A lot of people find their BN's exceedingly shy and complain that they never see them, but my Harriet is more of an extrovert and I get to see her lots.

I have BN Plecos, and a Rhino Pleco... but the only fish that I find actually pull their weight as far as eating algae is concerned are my Farlowella Cats, they keep my 54gal absolutely spotless even though it has about 150w of light on it

I have 5 albino bristlenose plecos and 1 L66 King Tiger pleco. Love 'em all.

Had a Glyptoperichthys pardalis that I absolutely loved. (aka common pleco) He was getting to be a nuisance however at 9" long I would catch him latched on to my frontosa when I turned on the lights in the AM. No visible damage but he sure could be contankerous and his poops were getting rather large. Big fivecoilers lying on the sand every morning. Traded him in at Petland.

I've always loved plecos. Others I would like to keep are L266 and L 200. I find the panaques tend to be quite mess makers as well with all the wood they chew.

David.

I have a Sailfin Pleco, 2 SAE and 4 Otos in my 50G, & 2 SAE and 3 Otos in the 20G.

The 50 is kept spotless, the 20 however is a different story. The SAE were raised on flake food( donated by another aquarist ) and have no idea what algae is. :(

the 3 Otos in there are doing their best but can't keep up.

Of all the algae eaters i've tried BN plecos have been the best. I have 3 BN plecos,1 rubbernose pleco, 1 SAE and 1 oto in my algae crew these days.

I was like Pat and didn't think the BN were doing much so i moved them to a different tank. IN about 1 week my 58g planted tank's glass was so covered in algae you could barely see in. I added them back and a couple days later it was back to being spotless. Guess i didn't give them enough credit.

I pretty much run the gambit of algae eaters. I have plecos in all my tanks (3 common, 2 bristlenose, 1 clown), as well as one SAE, one CAE and one Oto. All my tanks get direct sunlight, so I need all the help I can get keeping the algae down.

• 2 months later...